After my modification I had to chance the name of my server.

Hi All,

First I hope this is the right forum, otherwise please move.

TLDR: My server looks like the hunchback from Notre Dame...

Well I have over some years build a Supermicro server and I have not been kind. For those interested here is a part list.

Case: Supermicro SC846

M/B: X9DRI-LN4F+

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630L v2 (2.4GHz)

RAM: 24x16GB = 384GB

HDD: total of 23 (one with a broken connector fixed by soldering an extansion cable directly to the PCB)

SSD: 8x256GB = 1TB (RAID 10)

Slot1: Asus HYPER M.2 X16 CARD with 4x256GB NVMe

Slot2: ASMedia ASM1142 USB 3.1

Slot3: GPU blocked

Slot4: Nvidia GTX 1660 Super

Slot5: Nvidia GTX 1030

Slot6: LSI MegaRAID SAS 2008

Slot7: USB from motherboard to external connector

Now the observant reader will notice that my GTX 1030 is not blocking a slot. But that is not all. This case does not have PCIe connectors, nor does it have designated space fro 8x SSD. I solved the PCIe problem with help from ebay where I found some M/B CPU splitters and CPU->PCIe converter. 2 of each and I can now have 2 Graphic cards installed. But the GTX 1030 is NOT directly inserted in the PCIe slot. Again with help from ebay I found a PCIe x16 extender and two in serial I am now able to have it inside the case on top of the CPU shroud. Last, the configuration of the M/B results in that there are 2 USB2 cntrollers onboard. 1 controls all the external connectors, 1 controls the DOM port and the BMC (the IPMI mouse and keyboard). Since I want a VM with USB access, it will make most sense to pass through the USB controller that controls the external ports. But that makes it impossible to attach a keyboard for console use, as the internal DOM port is used for the unRAID key. So a I found a small USB hub and extended two of the ports via a bracket in Slot7. Now I can have both mouse and keyboard and still boot from the USB key.

If you wonder how his looks here is a picture, and I admit it is not pretty. And now back to the title, after this, my server name is now Qausimodo.

/Alphahelix

20200927_173113.jpg

• Like 1