Acronis True Image to Back Up PC to Unraid Share--How Do I Set Up?

Hey guys,

I have Acronis True Image (2018 if that matters), and I know people use it here to back up their main PCs to Unraid, but I'm not sure how to properly set that up.  I have a share in my Unraid NAS called Backups (only using one drive for the backups, I'm not sure if that's necessary though), and folders within that share that separate out what is being backed up, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the Network directory or an FTP connection.  I don't have anything from the NAS showing up on Network, and I have no idea how to set up an FTP connection in Acronis.  Can anyone who uses Acronis chime in?  I'm at a loss for how to set it up.  Is the share setup in Unraid correct as well?

9 minutes ago, asopala said:

I know people use it here to back up their main PCs to Unraid, but I'm not sure how to properly set that up.

I backup three machines (two desktops and a laptop) to an unRAID share via Acronis True Image.

You need to export your Backups share via SMB so it shows up when browsing the Network from ATI. I have Security set to Public but you can set it up with a more secure option and even an unRAID user specifically for backups.  I'll probably eventually do this, but, I am OK with it being Public for now,

image.png.52f771c247e3b8bfd0f28edf33fbeb08.png

When setting the destination for the backup in ATI, just browse the Network to destination folder.  Here's my destination for the laptop backup:

MediaNAS (unRAID server) --> Backups (exported unRAID share) --> Laptop_Backup folder

image.png.1b264140daec42d337d9245ce42d2d66.png

ATI is set to backup twice a week and it just happens automatically.

By the way, if you want to delete backup sets, be sure to do it through Acronis True Image and not just by deleting files in the backup folder on the server.

Here's what's interesting: that share was set to public, but I didn't see it under Network in Acronis.  Because I first checked the SMB settings and stopped the array when doing that (forgetting that the SMB security settings are in the shares), after starting it again, I saw it.  Odd.  For some reason, it'll show up in Network only sometimes; lately it hasn't been doing that, but typing the name into Windows Explorer will access it anyway, but without showing up in the Network tab.  Restarting the array made it show up.  Huh.  I don't know then.  But it's working now.

BTW, is your share only set to one drive?  And do you have the cache on for that share or not?  I remember having issues when the share was set to high-water where it wouldn't see the original share and instead of doing incremental backups would just create a whole new one.

Edited by asopala
detail
34 minutes ago, asopala said:

BTW, is your share only set to one drive?

No, I am letting it span several drives if needed. Set to High Water.  All Full and Incremental backups happen as they should.

35 minutes ago, asopala said:

And do you have the cache on for that share or not?

No, it is not a cache-anabled share.

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

No, I am letting it span several drives if needed. Set to High Water.  All Full and Incremental backups happen as they should.

No, it is not a cache-anabled share.

Awesome, thanks.  I figured out with the Network bit on Acronis I can just type the address of my Nas (\\tower) and it lets me in.  I got it figured out.  Thanks!

Edited by asopala
clicked enter before I finished typing
  • Like 1