Emergency! Array not possible!

6 minutes ago, Mor9oth said:

I just removed the PCB. So one of the bigger diodes in the circles are the protection diodes, right?

1.thumb.png.11399478ce30834c9dc1329075e2eb55.png

Yes, trace the diode which connect the RED wire at power plug side. Bottom left one not relate.

Any burn-out found ?

Edited by Vr2Io
30 minutes ago, Mor9oth said:

So you mean if this solves the problem of not spinning up the disks, then I can use the disks without problems like forever? 

Yes too.

Only one was target, but I can't confirm which one by the PIC, need multimeter. Don't try guess.

Edited by Vr2Io
1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

I can't tell you which one or fault identify, sorry this need some electronic skill and know how to use multimeter to troubleshoot. Those component/circuit may contain fuse too.

Pls don't do anything if you can't confirm.

Some info. FYR too

https://community.wd.com/t/hdd-tvs-diode-faq/14692

So now I do have a multimeter.

In OL Mode the obove D47 rings up.

This could be the one to remove.

1.thumb.png.923f92f58b74630c7c33490f2415994e.png

39 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Before you proceed any further, please clarify your priorities.

Do you want

Data that was on drives

Working drives for use in array

You really can't have both unless you are extremely lucky and skillful, in equal parts.

I want my Data. If I need to buy new drives than it hurts but it is ok. All my settings of dockers, shares etc. are important. And of course the Data on the shares.

2 minutes ago, Mor9oth said:

I want my Data. If I need to buy new drives than it hurts but it is ok. All my settings of dockers, shares etc. are important. And of course the Data on the shares.

In that case, for best results you need to send the drives to a professional recovery service. You can easily do more harm than good by attempting this yourself.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

In that case, for best results you need to send the drives to a professional recovery service. You can easily do more harm than good by attempting this yourself.

What exactly can a recovery service Do? Can they only save the files or can they also clone the old drives?

1 hour ago, Mor9oth said:

What exactly can a recovery service Do? Can they only save the files or can they also clone the old drives?

Typically they would copy the files to a new drive, but if you tell them you need bit level cloning for parity recovery they would attempt that if asked, obviously that would require the same size drive.

So after some sleep and checking my files on my PC I came to the conclusion that the best way is to try first get my Drives replaces by RMA.

But this rises the question is returning of shucked drives even possible?

Maybe voided warranty because of opening the cases? I bought them on Amazon and did not keep the cases since I never thought this could happen ...
Does anybody have experience in getting shucked Drives without cases replaced/refund? (byte my bits did, but he is a Youtuber).

Note. If you go RMA disk route and OK for lost all data, then could forget the multimeter.

After that, contact SS to got a good blackplane, that's all.

Today I also realized that the other backplate from the second cage is also not working - or the HBA-Card, or the Data cables aren't working.
Symptoms: The LEDs are on, but the old 1 TB HDD (also tested a 500 GB one) is not been shown up in Bios and LSI list (boot sequence).

But when I plug it directly over SATA, then I have the drive in the Bios and Unraid.
👉 So I guess the second backplate also died but LEDs still working. Right? Or something wrong with cables (I switched all I have, nothing changed), or the HBA itself (doesn't look like this, since showing up in Bios).

But if 2 of 2 backplates and 4 of 4 Drives died - I really want to make sure that if I replace them (backplates and drives) then everything is set up correctly.

I had it connected the following way:

1. Power goes from PCI-E 8 pin connector (Power supply), split by 6 PIN Adapter (Y-cable, included to the SilverStone CS381 Case) to each Cage. The Cage has the 6 PIN female port, so this seems correct to me. Or is here a Problem? Can I reuse it that way if I got replaced the backplates and the Drives?
  2. Data: Mini SAS cable (SFF-8643 to SFF-8087) from the Cage to the HBA. This seems 100% correct to me. 

I really hope someone can help me with this - seems important since a lot of hardware died and I want to make sure to refuse it.

Alternatively I just don't use hot swap anymore and just go SATA. But this would be sad.

Thank you for your help!

I bought them on Amazon and did not keep the cases

Then you can't RMA, we keep the cases, the serial no. label on case match the serial no. on disk too.

Mini SAS cable (SFF-8643 to SFF-8087) from the Cage to the HBA. This seems 100% correct to me. 

Agree, only one type, no forward or reverse.

Alternatively I just don't use hot swap anymore and just go SATA. But this would be sad.

Yes, if CS381 out if warranty. But I also agree if root cause can't identify, then reuse it will be danger even you got good blackplane replacement, same problem can happen again.

Edited by Vr2Io
4 hours ago, Mor9oth said:

So I can remove the safety diode, otherwise I can only throw away the hard drives. 

That would at least be a chance for the data.

If you won't get 3rd party maintenance service then seems remain DIY path only, but best get help from person which have some electronic knowledge, if too many unknow then almost no successful chance.

If DIY, pls try on parity disk, and provide two resistance measurement (reveser tip for the 2nd reading) across the suspect TVS diode.

Edited by Vr2Io
19 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

That meams you can't simple fix it by remove TVS diode.

Oh, man ... More Bad news ...

Alright, I guess I have to restart it from scratch. At least with new drives. But how does it work in my current Unraid?

How do I set up a new Array in Unraid? At the moment my old drives are still shown up as "disabled/missing".

Choosing a different Drive gives me the message "wrong" What is the best way to replace the old setting?

This is how it currently looks like:

1.thumb.png.3fceb70962b4797d48fa0e48474e69b1.png