Considering a new build

SteelCityColt

I'm currently running unRAID on a HP Microserver which has served me well but I'm considering migrating into a bigger chassis as the 4 drive bay is a bit limiting. Current specs:

Intel E3-1265 V2 (I jury rigged some active cooling but it still runs a bit warm because of the chassis being so condensed and full of gear).

16GB RAM

3 x 8TB WE Reds, 1 x 6TB WD Red (16TB used of 22TB but my hoarding is increasing exponentially)

HP Smart Array P222 of which I run 4 x SSDs, 2 for Cache in a pool, 2 for VMs

Aside from UnRaid also used currently for 1 x Ubuntu VM but I would like to spin up some more , and various dockers (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Nextcloud etc etc.)

I'm also considering upgrading my desktop and I was wondering could I combine the two into one and run my desktop as Windows 10 VM? Although I do game, it's less FPS more 4X, or games such as Skylines where RAM is the main limiting factor. Current spec:

i5-4690K

16GB RAM

Radeon Vega 56

Probably going to hand this down to my gf as she's starting to grumble about the lack of dedicated GPU on her laptop.

My current thoughts are going for a 3960X, running UnRaid as the bare metal and making VMs for a Windows 10 daily driver/gaming, possibly keep the headless Ubuntu VM, a HTPC/Living Room Gaming machine, and VMs as and when I feel the need to experiment with stuff.

Current questions/hesitancy:

Is it fundamentally a good idea, or would I just be better dropping the money a desktop and new lower spec server for UnRaid?

MOBO choice for 3960X, ease of passthrough being the main consideration.

ECC or not for RAM. Leaning towards yes.

Case choice. Rack or Tower? Hot swap or not? The original thought was to put the box in a rack out of sight out of mind, but I'm also slightly tempted to put it in a tower so I can gaze in wonder at the money I've burnt. Best rack contender so far (https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/4u-rackmount-cases/products/xk465f2-4u-rackmount-chassis-e-atx-120mm-fan-wall).