Has anyone uses Matrox M-series as M91XX on Unraid?

Yoon Hur

Hi, Unraid newbie is here.

I watched Linus tech Youtube channel there have one PC to multiple users example video. So I think if I put on the Matrox M9188 graphic card(it is have 8 mini-DP port) to main board, then it could make 8 KVM environment as one PC for use internet browsing and documentation.

So I tried to it as same as what I think but when I looking to IOMMU group of it, there are two kinds of descriptions apeared.

And so I realized it needed BIOS for it.

At this point, I have questions as below;

1. There have a BIOS for windows. Is that OK if I uses only Window VM?

2. The BIOS are separated for Window and Linux?

3. I have watched when it uses nvidia graphic card on Unraid, it need to modify BIOS file. So how can you know which code can be deleted?

If I can’t use Matrox BIOS file like nVidia cards, I need to modify the file also.

I tried to search the cases as like me but I can’t find it.

I hope it could use as I thought.. :(

If you know helpful video or web site about it, please let me know.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Yoon Hur said:

I think if I put on the Matrox M9188 graphic card(it is have 8 mini-DP port) to main board, then it could make 8 KVM environment

I don't think that will work, as the card doesn't split those 8 ports into separate IOMMU items. I'm not aware of any way currently to split a single display card into multiple KVM OS's, even if the card has multiple ports. The LTT videos all have one card per VM AFAIK.

I remember reading somewhere that it might be possible in the future with different hardware, but I'm not aware of anything running right now.

• Like 1

I don't think that will work, as the card doesn't split those 8 ports into separate IOMMU items. I'm not aware of any way currently to split a single display card into multiple KVM OS's, even if the card has multiple ports. The LTT videos all have one card per VM AFAIK.

I remember reading somewhere that it might be possible in the future with different hardware, but I'm not aware of anything running right now.

Thanks for you reply. Now I can see the exactly what I have to do. It need to be more graphic cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now, Yoon Hur said:

Thanks for you reply. Now I can see the exactly what I have to do. It need to be more graphic cards.

Keep in mind that the motherboard and CPU must support it as well, doing 1 video passthrough is easy, almost any hardware will work, doing 2 is more demanding, typically only server or gaming hardware support it, doing 3 or more requires very specific hardware, best to find someone doing it successfully already and copy their setup exactly.

• Like 1
Keep in mind that the motherboard and CPU must support it as well, doing 1 video passthrough is easy, almost any hardware will work, doing 2 is more demanding, typically only server or gaming hardware support it, doing 3 or more requires very specific hardware, best to find someone doing it successfully already and copy their setup exactly.

Thanks!
As I remembered, it can possible on Vmware ESXi that is capsulate each physical ports to vGPU and then it can use each port for the individual VM display.
Hope it Unraid also have this feature than would be wonderful.