YACQ...Yet Another Case Quest

CDLehner

OK...so I did my first build with an ARK 4U-500. Solid case, good value; but the first time I had a drive issue, I really hated cracking it open, and futzing with drives. I decided I wanted a hot-swap solution.

At that time, I had planned to start off modestly, but to be honest...by the time I priced out cases, and 5-in-3s, it was actually economically more feasible...or close anyway...to just get a 20-drive Norco. So, that's what I did; I moved my build to a 4220.

I bought a Pro license, and I was going to rip the world! LOL Well...things change, and so did my ripping strategy; by the time I hit 6 drives, and like 10T...it just seemed like 20 drives was going to be such overkill. Plus...the Norco was like an airplane getting ready for take-off.

I went back and forth between replacing the stock screamers, or just selling it and taking a step back. Taking a step back won...and since I never could sell the ARK, I just went back to it.

Now...I've recently had my 2nd drive issue...and guess what; it was a PITA, and I want to go hot-swap again.  ::) But I've learned my lesson; I don't need 20 drives, and I don't want the noise.

OTOH, I do have the Pro license, so it would be a real waste to roll a 6-drive server; and who knows...things might get bigger than I think, and I may wish I had the space. So I decided that a good "compromise" would be a box like the LimeTech builds. That way, I can do (1) 5-in-3 at a time...up to say 15 drives, if needed. Given my current strategy, I can't see needing beyond 15 drives, and that'll make me feel like the Pro license isn't a total waste.

So...I just jumped all over this Lian Li/Lancool PC-K58W. At first blush...from the front...it sure looked like it had the (9) 5.25" slots I was looking for. And at ~$65 shipped, I jumped quick. Then...upon further inspection...I see there are just 5 slots, and then a fan at the bottom of the front of the case...that'll keep me from my (3) 5-in-3 plan.

Or will it? Even though I've built my parts 4 times over, it's only been between 2 different cases...lol. So I'm a novice, and am really not sure about modding and such. Looking at the inside of the PC-K58W, do you see anyway I can go with (3) 5-in-3 cages? If not, any suggestions about what I might return it for (I knew it wasn't what I was hoping for, before it arrived...so it's unopen while I try and figure out what to do)? Keep in mind, I'm kind of looking to compare apples to apples here...and price is a consideration. This case was ~$65 shipped. Now, while I'm willing to go higher than that, certainly, if we start talking about a $150 case, and then $100/per for the cages...I'm right back to a Norco being the better value.

Isn't there a nice, simple...don't need a lot of "pimp" and "bling"...lol...medium size case; that I can just stuff cages into, as I need...for a reasonable price? Help!

41wMl396NL__AA300_.jpgdsc_0093.jpg

I did; problem I have...being a relative newbie...is I always have a hard time figuring out which cases will seem to hold, like a Supermicro 5-in-3, "properly". Like some of those cases in that thread; they have pretty "stout" rails in the 5.25" slots. Seems to me, that would actually be an issue...when trying to fit a 5-in-3?

Hence the questions.  ???

CD

As far as i know MOST cases need some flattening of the tips to support 5 in 3 cages

i have a NZXT case and that one is a bit of an exception as the rails are in plastic and i can glide them out ... which is handy i hope when i buy my first 5 in 3 :) end of next week

you just need to look if you want a 9 bay case that there is no sideways 3.5" bays in the case already ...  or if there are  4 in 3's in the lower bays that they are removable...  coolermasters are all removable as far as i know .... the lian-li pc80 also ... but both need flattening of the tips ...  c clamp was found as the easiest alternative ...  but a lot of the people used flat screwdrivers and hammers and some cut with a dremel

i will shoot some pictures when i add the 5 in 3 into my nzxt case

I was lucky to get the Cooler Master 590 and bought 3  5in3's for that case. I knew I had to flaten the tabs a little, so I went ahead with a small jewel type hammer. It worked out fine and only took me 25 minutes. The HD cages are ridiculously expensive for what they are. $100 for one was read hard for me to do. Just for the case and 3 cages was $370. Yep, pretty expensive without adding any hardware at all.

if you go through the "pimp your rig" thread in the ucd subforum than you will see that a few people made their own 5 in 3's

not hotplug though ... but since unraid doesn't support hotplug anyway ... it might be a cheaper solution if you are handy with a piece of aluminium and a drill

and then you will not have to bend any tabs

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2031.msg32083#msg32083

of course replacing a drive can be a bit more cumbersome ...

so all depends what you want to pay for

i bought a cheap 4 in 3 last month and now i will be obliged to  buy a more expensive 5 in 3 from icy dock as the cheaper brand has no 5 in 3's here in the shops in Pantip Plaza Thailand

but i find it wurth it when you need to replace a drive you don't need to open the case any more ....

OK...so what about a case like this AeroCool VS-9? See, this is where my inexperience gets in the way. WTF are those red things, on the drive rails...lol. I'm sure they secure the drives, but will they just be prohibitive for putting 5-in-3 cages in this thing? I read a review on NewEgg, where the guy had put 5-in-3 cages in it, but he said the power-button cabling had to go through one of the drive bays. Is that likely easily circumvented? I wouldn't want that to cost me 5 drives. ???

aerocool_vs-9_inside.jpg

Thanks,

CD

OK...so what about a case like this AeroCool VS-9? See, this is where my inexperience gets in the way. WTF are those red things, on the drive rails...lol. I'm sure they secure the drives, but will they just be prohibitive for putting 5-in-3 cages in this thing? I read a review on NewEgg, where the guy had put 5-in-3 cages in it, but he said the power-button cabling had to go through one of the drive bays. Is that likely easily circumvented? I wouldn't want that to cost me 5 drives. ???

aerocool_vs-9_inside.jpg

Thanks,

CD

OK, I've decided to give this case a try. Once I get it, where's the best place to post for some help with the move/build?

CD