Can't seem to get remote Wake on Lan working

I'm very UNknowledgeable with computers, servers, networks, etc so please bear with me....I'm basically reading a lot of throwing darts. 

I'll be going out of town this week and we have bad storms coming so I really need to be able to turn the computer back on after the power goes out then is restored. Any ideas or things to consider would be great.

I went into the bios and turned on "wake on lan" (Asus x99 Deluxe ii) in the power settings and in the network controller setting. I have also setup port forwarding in my router (I THINK correctly but I'm not positive about that), and I have a android app on my phone to trigger a magic packet and its setup to point to the Unraid box.  But I've played around with it for hours now and cant seem to get it to turn the computer on when the computer is just sitting there off but with power (and in that state the lan card has the light on)

Any thoughts, ideas, things to check, etc???

Edited by SPOautos

on a Windows machine most people also have to configure WOL in Windows as well as the bios.....so I'm wondering if I need to do something in Unraid. 

For more detail....in my TP Link router I bound the Unraids ip address and mac address together and reserved the ip (this was actually already done but its also required to pass through WOL). Then I setup a forwarding that has the Unraid's ip address and port 7 (tried with port 9 as well).   I also used port 7 or 9 accordingly in the android app.  

Also, at this point I am only trying to do WOL locally from my phone to my Unraid, on the same local network....if I can get it going I will use a router vpn to remote into my network and I have a wol phone app that says it works over router vpn....but I just want to get it to work locally first.

Edited by SPOautos

I ran this and it seems to be correct and shows that is it setup for Wake on Lan and "g" which according to my research is magic packets. I'm not sure what could be wrong. Any helps would be GREATLY appreciated......

root@Tower:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: on (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

Edited by SPOautos

Well, I have it half working! SOOOO, I actually have two nic's on the computer and they are bonded together and the two cables go to two ports are the router where it uses link aggregation to combine them. So the primary nic has a mac and ip which is also used as the mac/ip for the bonded combination of the two. This is the mac and ip the router uses for the computer, as a matter of fact, eventhough two ports are plugged in on the router it shows up as 1 with the mac/ip of the primary nic. SOOOO, I was trying to setup the WOL using that nic and it wasnt working. I decided to look up the mac and ip of the secondary nic and set it up in the wol app and BAM, it turns the computer on instantly.....but only when being used locally on the same network. When I turn my wifi off and turn on the router VPN the wol no longer works. It has a setting in the app to enable if your using it through a VPN, which I enabled but it didnt help.

Also, for anyone else ever looking for this info, I also had the secondary nic setup in the router with mac/ip binding and a reserved ip address. Additionally I have the port forwarding setup for port 7 and the ip of that secondary card. 

So now I just need to figure out how to get it to work outside of my local network.

Still battling this. I can get WOL working when I am on my local network using a android app (WOLon which is also supposed to work with vpn), however cant seem to get it to work through a andoid vpn app that I use with my routers vpn feature (the official OpenVPN android app). The VPN works great on my phone, I can access my Unraid just fine from my phone browser so I know the VPN is working.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding different phone apps that they have had success with? I work out of town a lot and need to be able to turn the computer on from my phone when I am out of town. 

Edited by SPOautos
On 10/15/2020 at 12:14 AM, SPOautos said:

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding different phone apps that they have had success with?

I achieve remote WOL by remote access router's WOL feature ( thr VPN ), this not a convenience method.

Do you use "Fing" app ? I will got a "Fing box" some days later, for my understanding, it work as same thing to replace your mobile phone in local network. So it may support remote WOL by simple several click on App. ( It work as cloud base and you need trust it won't be a Spy )

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1
On 10/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, SPOautos said:

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding different phone apps that they have had success with?

Another approach is a WOW broadcast (Wake On WAN) like the one I set up. My router is an IPFire. Your router / firewall must support this. A WOL packet is sent (over Android) to the router, which is then forwarded by the firewall - no VPN or unraid/router-login needed.

Why a broadcast? Because a WOL packet cannot be routed.

The "magic" behind this is that you send the WOL-Packet over any port - lets say 37000 - and then the Router forwards it to Port 9 to your unaid.

But as I said, your router must also support that.

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 1