SAS Card Cable Issue Turned Into Dead SAS Card. New card, 1 Emulated Disk & 1 "Missing"

Here's the summary:

I was getting a lot of CDC UDMA errors so I ordered a new SAS cable (card: LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i). 

One drive (disk2) was disabled due to write errors, so I disable/reenabled to rebuild drive contents. During that operation, UnRaid froze...I couldn't change from dashboard to main, for example. Hard restarted.

Before the new cable arrived, I fired up UnRaid and now couldn't boot into UnRaid...just an error msg about the SAS card and then a black screen with a blinking cursor. 

Ordered a new card (SAS9211-8I) figuring the other card was dead and that a new card was the easiest fix.

New card, new cables, launch into UnRaid...all drives show up, but now my one drive that was emulated (disk2) is still there, but another drive (disk5) shows as unassigned. If I hover over the red X on disk5 I see "device is missing (disabled), contents emulated". Disk5 can be assigned (it shows up and is available), but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.

Not sure what to do. From my limited knowledge...2 disks down is not good. Unfortunately for me, I rebooted and THEN remembered never reboot without saving logs. I'll attach what the current log shows.

Unraid version 6.8.3

No dockers, VM's.

10 disks, plus parity.

Thanks in advance for help/reading.

unraid_main-2020.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20201011-1323.zip

Edited by zOnk.oNe

Disk5 looks OK, you can use the invalid slot command to re-enable it and rebuild disk2, assuming it's really fine and parity is still valid.

Follow the instructions below carefully and ask if there's any doubt.

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed.
-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type (don't copy/paste directly from the forum, as sometimes it can insert extra characters):

mdcmd set invalidslot 2 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box (GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the invalid slot command, but they won't be as long as the procedure was correctly done), disk2 will start rebuilding, disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish (or cancel it)  and then run a filesystem check

• Like 1

JorgeB,

You are radical. Many thanks for the reply and well explained/laid out directions. I followed your guidance and all looks good so far. I'm at 47% on the data rebuild. I didn't want to reply too early, all excited, and then find errors/etc.

Hopefully things continue smoothly, without error. Again...muchos gracias.

-zOnk.oNe

Edited by zOnk.oNe
Updating...100% completion with no errors :)
  • Like 1