Suggestions for first build

Shadz

Hi all, I'm likely to setup an UnRAID for the first time and am looking for feedback/suggestions!

Pressing questions:

1) How big of a cache do you think is optimal? What format should it be (M2 NVMe, M2 SATA, SATA SSD)?

2) How would you organize HDDs for torrenting to minimize wear on the array? For example, I have a spare 500GB HDD that I could designate as the location for incomplete torrents before it transfer to cache/array

3) Do I need a discrete GPU for the Windows VM? Specifically, can Unraid run w/o using the iGPU so my simple Windows VM can run on the iGPU?

Hardware

Case: Fractal Design Define 7

CPU: Intel i7-6700k

GPU: Integrated from 6700k

Mobo: Asus Z270-A Prime

RAM: 32 GB (4x8 GB) G.Skill 3200@16

Addon: LSI 2308-based 8i

Array: 3x12 TB WD Red

Add'l available hardware:

500 GB 2.5" SATA HDD

256 GB M2 SATA

5x 3 TB WD Red

Mobo supports 2x M2, and up to 6 SATA (depending on M2)

Use cases

1) NAS for movies, TV, etc.

2) Hooked up directly to TV for Zoom, playing anime that Plex doesn't handle well

3) Windows VM for qbittorrent*, Plex server**

Future upgrades

4) Windows VM w/ discrete graphics for VR

Thanks!!

* I really prefer to torrent via the Windows GUI b/c I can't rename/handle torrent files in WebGUI easily

** Since I only have the iGPU atm, I can't run the VM and Plex docker at the same time, so Plex will have to be run within Windows :(

Edited by Shadz

hehe, I understand your concerns :) I'm a little on the fence too... But,

1) Unraid seems like a lot of fun :)

2) Storage spaces is horrible for parity. Performance goes to literally 10 MB/s.

3) I am considering RAID5, but that means I lose the ability to incrementally increase my storage - at the very least, I have to get 4 HDDs at a time to increase the array

Unraid can be fun and is very flexible with community applications.

I haven't tried pass through of iGPU other than for docker transcoding, however a GT710 can be picked up for @ $15 in an auction and will be fine for a windows VM with the benefit of a dedicated GPU output, HDMI audio etc. Plex would be far better in docker and passed through to the iGPU than running in windows.

Reads like you want a main VM with some storage on the side so give it a go.

The only other thing you may want to consider is a USB card based on fresco logic FL1100 for another $15 as pass through of onboard USB can be an issues. Being able to pass through a full controller rather than devices will make a VM much more user friendly as you'll have hotplug for devices.

Unraid can be fun and is very flexible with community applications.

Yeah, the community seems great :)

Reads like you want a main VM with some storage on the side so give it a go.

Precisely!

I haven't tried pass through of iGPU other than for docker transcoding, however a GT710 can be picked up for @ $15 in an auction and will be fine for a windows VM with the benefit of a dedicated GPU output, HDMI audio etc. Plex would be far better in docker and passed through to the iGPU than running in windows.

The only other thing you may want to consider is a USB card based on fresco logic FL1100 for another $15 as pass through of onboard USB can be an issues. Being able to pass through a full controller rather than devices will make a VM much more user friendly as you'll have hotplug for devices.

Do motherboard USBs not count as separate controllers? I have several (3) front-panel connectors for at least 6 USB devices. In Windows, they tend to show up as separate controllers - do they also show up that way in Unraid?

re: GPU - you're suggest to let Unraid/Docker have the iGPU for Plex and then use a cheap GPU for the Windows VM? Do I have to designate the iGPU to the Plex docker (or is that a shared resource of unraid)? And second, if Plex never has to transcode, then it doesn't need a GPU unit, right?