back up unraid to synology offsite?

maxse

Hi folks,

So I think I have a solution for a "simple" way to back up my unraid. I have tested this briefly and it seemed to work and I would like your thoughts on this from you all. 

1. set up sftp server on remote synology with a dynamic dns 

2. Use rclone on the unraid box to encrypt and transfer to remote synology at a friend's place encrypted. 

3. Remote synology will have daily snapshots set up to serve as versioning.

What do you guys think? My big question is, is it a secure connection with sftp? I tried this out with a few files and while they transferred I'm not sure if it used https? I didn't have to set up letsencrypt or anything like that, Synology just has a few check to enable the sftp server. Does this automatically mean that the transfer is encrypted?

And also, any thoughts on using the snapshots of the remote encrypted rclone share? So in the event of an accidental deletion, or even if ransomware attacks and encrypts all the files on the unraid box which I don't catch in time, and they propagate to the remote synology, I will just be able to use that synology's snapshot feature to go back however many days prior to crypto?

My concern with this is will rclone be able to read the encrypted synology if I use a snapshot to revert back in time? Im concerned if it gets corrupted or something like that where it looks for a file tree or file structure that it expects but is no longer there because it's a snapshot from a previous backup....

Any thoughts on this?

I have tried multiple things even purchased cloudberry ultimate, had to run minio remotely, and ultimately just figured it would be simpler to set up a synology that would take less power, do easy snapshots for versioning and I wouldn't have to rely on minio or cloudberry...