Double NAT help

Hi, 

I have recently moved house and in turn changed Internet provider to Vodafone. This has had the undesirable effect of not allowing me to access locally my reverse proxied services (bitwarden, nextcloud, emby, Radarr, Sonarr). Whenever I try, I just receive the following error;

This site can’t be reached

The web page at https://bitwarden.mydomain.com/#/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I was advised that the Vodafone modem/router is locked down and I would be best to get a replacement, namely a DrayTek 130 modem, which I did. 

The DrayTek is now in Bridge mode and passing everything through directly to my Asus ZenWiFi AX. The Asus has the obtained Vodafone credentials and everything is working great, EXCEPT that I'm still not able to access my reversed proxy services locally (externally is fine). 

I'm pulling my hair out and I feel like I'm just going round in circles now. 

Can anyone please help? 

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

If your router doesn't support it, one option is to force the dns resolution using the hosts file on local machines.

Many thanks, I'll look into that option. 👍

Fingers crossed my router does support it after the money I've just spent on it and the replacement modem. 

Edited by LoneTraveler
6 minutes ago, whipdancer said:

If your router doesn't support it, here's an alternative idea - use pfsense on a NUC/SFF/Spare computer as your router.

Assuming you're outside the return period on your router, you could use it as a wireless access point.  My setup is modem > pfsense computer > Ubiquiti ACLite for wireless.

Luckily I'm within the 14-day return period so I could send it back. Could you recommend a suitable replacement by any chance? Preferably a WiFi 6 router with Pfsense. 

1 hour ago, LoneTraveler said:

Luckily I'm within the 14-day return period so I could send it back. Could you recommend a suitable replacement by any chance? Preferably a WiFi 6 router with Pfsense. 

I don’t know of any wifi routers with Pfense.  A general search on google turns up a couple of options on AliExpress, but the Pfsense route is akin to installing customer firmware on your existing router.  That's why I said "pfsense on a NUC/SFF/spare computer".  Another alternative would be picking up a Ubiquiti Edge Router X.  It is a firewall and highly capable router - but you have to do Wifi separately.  It will give you a more capable router.

None of these options that I suggest are "buy a box from the store and plug it in" friendly. They require a bit of planning and a willingness to learn something new.  I know the basics of the setup and I know where to go to ask questions if I need to do something new.  The good news is that my modem, my router and my wifi are all separate - so if something goes out or becomes obsolete, I only need to replace that one thing.

Edited by whipdancer
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, whipdancer said:

I don’t know of any wifi routers with Pfense.  A general search on google turns up a couple of options on AliExpress, but the Pfsense route is akin to installing customer firmware on your existing router.  That's why I said "pfsense on a NUC/SFF/spare computer".  Another alternative would be picking up a Ubiquiti Edge Router X.  It is a firewall and highly capable router - but you have to do Wifi separately.  It will give you a more capable router.

None of these options that I suggest are "buy a box from the store and plug it in" friendly. They require a bit of planning and a willingness to learn something new.  I know the basics of the setup and I know where to go to ask questions if I need to do something new.  The good news is that my modem, my router and my wifi are all separate - so if something goes out or becomes obsolete, I only need to replace that one thing.

Hi, 

Thanks again for the advice, just ordered these;

*UBIQUITI Networks EdgeRouter X 5 Ports Gigabit LAN/WAN Router

*Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR 175.7 x 43.2 mm 2.4-5 GHz 802.11ac Dual-Radio Long Range Access Point

20201016_125318.jpg

20201016_125328.jpg

Edited by LoneTraveler

They should work for what you need. There are some good videos for basic setups on youtube that specifically address double nat'ting, and the ACLR gives you way more flexibility on placement than a single unit wifi-router will.  I have my ACLite installed on the ceiling in nearly the physical center of our townhouse.

Also, check out the basic setup videos for the ER-X.  This guy documented his full home setup with the ER-X and ACLR.  I also use a Docker for Unifi Controller software on my server to manage my devices. Just search for "Unifi" under apps.

• Thanks 1