CLOSED - what is the right thing to do?

clinds34

Hi - while i mostly solicit the forums to figure out what i have done wrong and how to fix said user error, I am wise enough to know when I need to go to the experts. 

I mostly use Unraid for back-up and media; and it has been a long time since I set-up my unraid server.  Details are below.  Recently, I have discovered the world of docker, VMs and have been delving into the world of Home Assistant.   As I have expanded the capacity of the unraid server, I am finding that I am starting to run into overhead issues; namely CPU is largely maxed and my RAM gets tapped out more frequently.   Currently this results in waiting for processing or running scripts but I did notice increase write/read times moving some files.  

So I am faced with the proposition of 

a) upgrade on the cheap - (max out RAM on board and buy a new processor). or...

b) toss the motherboard, and rebuild the guts of the box. 

Realizing how old the guts are of my build, does it make any sense to try to wring out a bit more from it or should I not bother given the benefits of new MB/Processor? Also, there used to be a section in the forums where there were different builds and price points - does that still exists/is it updated for 2020ish timeframe? I am finding it hard to locate what a bare bones kind of 2020 build is to compare/spec out.

thanks in advance 

M/B: BIOSTAR Group A880G+ Version - s/n: None

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 080016. Dated: 01/25/2011

CPU: AMD Sempron™ 145 @ 2800 MHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 128 KiB, 1024 KiB, 0 KiB

Memory: 4 GiB Other (max. installable capacity 8 GiB)

Array is 11.5 TB (max disk size is 2TB) 

Rosewill RSV-L4500 - Server Case or Chassis, 4U Rackmount 

Update - going to take the plunge and get some new hardware.  

CLOSED. 

Edited by clinds34
new info