How to upgrade an LSI HBA firmware using Unraid

• 4 weeks later...

So i read a lot of info about this flashing progress and i am so confused.

For now, i do not have access to my unraid machine, so i will have to do it from my Desktop ( B450 + Ryzen 5 5500 ).

What would i need to do, to have an succesfull flash ?

Can i do it directly from windows ? do i use freedos env from an usb ? uefi shell if my MB can do it ?

The card that needs to be flashed is Dell PERC H310, i have watched the video from the art of server about the firmware and bios downloading so i think this settled.

I am considering following this guide:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/188146-my-journey-into-crossflashing-a-dell-perc-h310-ir-mode-to-lsi-9211-8i-it-mode-for-zfs-truenas-use

Is it any good ?

Other guides recommend using two different OS's , freedos and linus, to flash the card, others dont.

A lot of info around but not so much clarification about why to do it and on what hardware, server, consumer and for a begginer its hard what to trust and follow.

Any help would be apreciated.

I have managed finally to flash IT Firmware on my Dell H310 card, so i here it is how i did it, maybe it will help someone in the future.

I followed this guide: https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html ( I used this one instead of the one available in this forum tailored for unraid because i didn't have access to my unraid machine at that time )

I flashed the card using my personal desktop ( R5 5500, B450 PRO4 P8 ) , be sure to disable everything that the guide mentions and enable CSM. ( PSA, with an Intel 500 platform you cannot enable CSM with out an dedicated GPU )

In my case i also needed to have every back io cable pluged in ( BT USB Dongle, Internet, Headphones jacks, Printer USB ) to be able to type a single letter into FreeDOS instead of like 30-40 at once. I do not know why this happened and sadly i didnt experiment which cable or device was allowing me to type normally so i included it all above, otherwise if only my mouse,keyboard,DP and power was plugged in i couldn't type correctly at all.

After i FINALLY managed to be able to type a single letter into FreeDOS ( It took me a day to figure this stupid issue out ) i followed the guide and the card was flashed to it firmware in like 15 min.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @JorgeB,

Is there any particular risk in updating also the UEFI like this (without erasing anything) from a Windows machine?

I feel more confident in flashing those cards from a Windows environment and later to move the card to the Unraid server

sas3flash.exe -o -f SAS9300-16i_IT.bin -b mptsas3.rom -b mpt3x64.rom

Thank you!

• 1 month later...