[SOLVED] Having trouble getting Wireguard to work.

I recently installed the Wireguard plugin and used both instructional guides I found on the Unraid forums as well as the official Unraid instructions to install it, but I can't get any peers to work (I've tried remote access to LAN and remote tunneled access).

I've followed the instructions exactly as written, and also performed the following steps:

• Reset my router's IP address distribution/subnet/addresses to be 192.168.177.0, etc. instead of 192.168.1.0, etc. (This was a major pain in the ass but I'm hoping it will have been worth it moving forward.)
  • Toggled 'Local server uses NAT' to 'Yes' and 'No' (I have no idea what this means in regard to my server)
  • Deleted 'network.cfg' from BOOT and rebooted the server
  • Added a Peer DNS of 8.8.8.8
  • Confirmed port forwarding is directing UDP at Wireguard's port to my server's internal IP address

I'm using the ISP router that comes along with my Verizon Fios subscription - not pfSense or anything like that. Every time I made a change to the network or peer, I regenerated the peer profile and re-scanned it into my phone's Wireguard application.

Despite all of this, I still can't get it working. I try to ping it from the Wireguard settings and I get no reply - it isn't even making a handshake.

Any thoughts? I'm tearing my hair out here.

Not clear what your problem might be.    It might be a good idea to post a screenshot or the WireGuard settings page from Unraid.

the other thing is that occurs to me is whether port forwarding is set up correctly on your router?   The fact that you mention there does not even appear to be any attempt to handshake suggests maybe the inbound connection is just not reaching your Unraid server :(

14 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not clear what your problem might be.    It might be a good idea to post a screenshot or the WireGuard settings page from Unraid.

the other thing is that occurs to me is whether port forwarding is set up correctly on your router?   The fact that you mention there does not even appear to be any attempt to handshake suggests maybe the inbound connection is just not reaching your Unraid server :(

Wow, uploading the files made me realize I was making a terrible mistake - the tunnel with the most recent updated settings was set to inactive. It now works once activated! Sorry for the false alarm.

Edit: I can now establish a handshake, but I still can't connect to anything within the network. Any thoughts? Screenshots attached.

Wireguard Settings.png

Port Forward Settings.png

Edited by HALPtech
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Having trouble getting Wireguard to work.

It can be frustrating to get this working as WireGuard gives minimal feedback.   I expect it is going to be something simple when you track down what is wrong.

Exactly what are you trying to access via the tunnel (Unraid server, LAN connected machines, internet). For instance are you trying to access your server by IP or by name?    Name will not work as the DNS server specified is not the one local to the Unraid server so name->IP resolution will not work.  If using IP address you should use 10.253.0.1 since that is the address of the server end of the tunnel.