Is LSI SAS 9207-8i compatible with dell r710 in IT Mode

On 10/15/2020 at 6:12 PM, Doomguy said:

Hi Everyone, I just placed an order for LSI SAS 9207-8i on ebay. I just wanted to check if it's compatible with dell r710 in IT Mode.

Thank you.

I have the LSI 9211-8i in my R710 works fine was plug and play but if i remember correctly you can not use the slot that the raid card was/is in I think it was proprietary or something you should be good to go if you want to look into it I got mine from the art of server not sure how different they are to each other

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Doomguy said:

Thank you for the responses, I'll report in after I get the card. This thread is what made me question my decision https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/How-to-Add-SSD-to-Dell-R710-without-raid/td-p/7562495 

That's funny sure sounds like he never powered the drives up he only plugged in the sata cables otherwise he would have installed the drives in the cages sounds like he did not have the correct cables for the backplane or he was trying to squeeze ssd's inside the server and did not consider their power requirements I have ssd's in both the backplane and I also put an ssd sled into the cd drive for additional storage and if your really crafty there is still 1 sata 2 port on the motherboard but as he found out you need to pull power from somewhere

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I picked up an LSI 9271-8i, flashed it with the latest firmware and installed in in an R-710 server with the 6.6.0 bios.  it works great utilizing a couple of old 2.5" SAS drives in a raid 1 config.  I want to make this a storage server so I installed eight new Toshiba 1.8 TB drives which are recognized by the controller, can be added to a disk group, put in a raid array and initialized.  When I run the server 2019 install I can see the 11.5 TB partition but receive the message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  Ensure the disk controller is enabled in the Computer's Bios"     In UEFI boot mode I can only see the CD-Rom drive, not the LSI controller.   Suggestions?