getting rid of high ssd write rates

caplam

Hello,

In 6.8.3 i have had hard time with excessive writes on ssd. I'm now with 6.9 beta30 and it seems i have the same problems. Like in 6.8.3 high writes are made trough loop2 device which is /var/lib/docker .

I like unraid but i'm not going to change my ssds every six months. So i'm considering dropping unraid docker engine.

I have 2 options :

- drop unraid but i don't want to. Now i'm more familiar with it, it would be a waste.

- drop the usage of docker engine.

for option 1 i guess freenas would be a viable option but besides the fact of learning a new os it has its downsides (choice of hard drives,...)

for option 2 i'm considering setting up an ubuntu vm with docker engine and portainer for managing containers, network, ....

How can i set up such a vm ?

which network adapter ?

which size of vdisk?

how to use existing appdata from containers ?

how to passtrough gpu to plex and tdarr dockers inside the vm ?

which data from the vm to backup and how ?

Is there someone who followed this path ?

i thought setting up a cache pool with 1Mib aligned partition would be enough but that's not the case.

I saw your post in bug reports and right now i started docker service with the directory option (with a dedicated share).

For now i'm redownloading docker images but my dsl connections is so slow that i think it's a 24 to 48 hours process.