How to test the security of my network?

SPOautos

So with me doing so many different things that I only have a basic understanding of...like port forwarding and other such things. I would like some kind of way to see if my network is somehow open to the outside world through a port or some type of vulnerability.  What would be the best way to do that?

47 minutes ago, SPOautos said:

So with me doing so many different things that I only have a basic understanding of...like port forwarding and other such things. I would like some kind of way to see if my network is somehow open to the outside world through a port or some type of vulnerability.  What would be the best way to do that?

Go to the Gibson Research site and run the Shields Up! tests.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, trurl said:

What ports are you forwarding?

When I set up Nextcloud I also setup Swag reverse proxy and that required me to set up some port forwarding. Also, I believe when I setup the wireguard vpn I had to setup some port forwarding.  I suppose I am following directions and getting things configured and working....but I don't REALLY understand it all so sometimes I get a little paranoid that I have some kind of open port or vulnerability.   

Also, I have something going on that I'm not sure if its correct or not. So I was trying to setup Wake on Lan for when I am not at home, intending to log in to network through router vpn and use a wol android app to wake the server in case power ever goes out and it needs to be booted back up. Anyway, I am having difficulty getting the router pptp vpn to work using its dynamic DNS. Well through that I discovered that when I go to the browser (over cellular so not on the local network) and type in that Dynamic DNS of my router OR the main router IP address, it takes me to the Heimdall page that I set up. I dont think its supposed to do that which makes me think something is setup wrong. Then that just got me wondering what else is setup wrong and if I'm exposed to the internet in some vulnerable way.  Of course, its not like I'm someone with classified data people are wanting....but still, I just want to know all my doors are locked and secure.

Edited by SPOautos
  • 5 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:24 AM, Hoopster said:

Go to the Gibson Research site and run the Shields Up! tests.

I would at least run this on your IP for starters. It's very useful to at least see what the rest of the world might see. 

Does it solve every problem? NO, but it will at least show you what somebody else might see if they do a port scan of your IP.