Sharkoon Rebel 22

It looks as though his drives are mounted pretty far back, and there are fans in front of the drives. Your cages will be further forward to be "hot swap" bays, and even with fans in back I think you will gain clearance, not lose it.

Thanks Chuck.  I thnk you're probably right.  Let's see wht neilt0 has to say.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neilt0 -

Looking at your build with interest.  Wondering if I can adapt to my needs.  I already have 2x SuperMicro CSE-M35T which I would use (+ get 2 more) to work with the Sharkoon Rebel 12 case.  This would allow up to 26 drives, although I'd likely just use 2 internal slots (I only have 22 ports right now).

Do you think that the CSE-M35T would fit.  They are deeper than the 4in3 units you have used (see link below), becuase they include a fan cage on the inside of the case.  In the picture it is not clear whether there is sufficient clearance for the fan housing to slide back without hitting the motherboard.  The fact that the fans are in the rear should allow the cages to be able to slide forward to mount closer to the front of the case since I won't have the 140mm fans mounted.  Does this seem workable?

Here is a link to the CSE-M35T.  Note that the cage is 9.7" deep with fan cage installed.

Do you think these cages will work well with this case?

Does this help?

I remembered it as 9.5" when I went to measure, so add 0.2" in your head!

99KsR.png

Here's a better photo, taken as "square" with the motherboard-end of the tape measure as I could get it and the tape at 9.7" on the other end, flush with the front of the case:

Thanks neilt0!  I REALLY appreciate you tearing your server apart to take those pics for me.

I'm not 100% sure it is going to go smoothly, but I think I am going to go for it anyway.  I'm pretty good with a dremel when I need to be. ;)

My fear is that the 5in3s are going to bump up against the memory or the PSU connector on the motherboard.  Worst comes to worst, I may just have to let them stick out the front a little more than standard.  Should be okay.  I plan to use the C2SEE-O motherboard, which is a litte wider than yours, but may have to stay with the P5B VM DO.  And if it's really bad I could go with a smaller MB and sell the C2SEE.

Woud just be outstanding to have 26 drive slots.  One for each letter of the alphabet.  Actually, with flash, it will be one PAST the end of the alphabet.  I wonder what comes after sdz?

Thanks again!

Thanks neilt0!  I REALLY appreciate you tearing your server apart to take those pics for me.

I'm not 100% sure it is going to go smoothly, but I think I am going to go for it anyway.  I'm pretty good with a dremel when I need to be. ;)

My fear is that the 5in3s are going to bump up against the memory or the PSU connector on the motherboard.  Worst comes to worst, I may just have to let them stick out the front a little more than standard.  Should be okay.  I plan to use the C2SEE-O motherboard, which is a litte wider than yours, but may have to stay with the P5B VM DO.  And if it's really bad I could go with a smaller MB and sell the C2SEE.

Woud just be outstanding to have 26 drive slots.  One for each letter of the alphabet.  Actually, with flash, it will be one PAST the end of the alphabet.  I wonder what comes after sdz?

Thanks again!

No worries. There was no tearing down -- the server was out of its usual home anyway, and it took one thumbscrew removal and all was revealed!

I really can't say if they'll fit, but looking at the pic in the link you posted, if you used P5B VM like mine, I doubt the 5in3s will impinge on motherboard components because they taper at the back. It's hard to tell without trying it out though, of course.

I think I was the first person on this board to use the Scythe 4in3s, and I had no idea if the Antec 1200 fans would fit in front of them, but bought them blind and was pleased with the result.

The SCSI/SATA subsystem considers /dev/sdz the 26th device followed by /dev/sdaa the 27th device and /dev/sdab the 28th device. The last 2 lettered suffix is /dev/sdzz the 702nd device followed by /dev/sdaaa the 703rd device and /dev/sdaab the 704th device. This pattern continues.

The 18278th device is /dev/sdzzz. Once you get past there, there seems to be some SCSI issues. I'm not sure if they officially patched it already or not.

8)

Hi,

I can help  ;D

I have a Rebel 12 Case (the one with the BIG side fan ... worth every penny) with 3 CSE-M35T cages. No problem to fit them in!

I even thought of an 4th cage, but: the first bay (the one with the 3.5 slot) of the Rebel case is fixed. No way to get rid of this one except dremeling that thing out - if I ever should need the space, I shall try that...

For now, the first and the last two 5.25 bays are unused. Well, a DRD-RW is located at the bottom. Still not sure if and how to use that, but it was spare, so another thing NOT flying around in my small office  ::)

I've modded my CSE-M35T cages with Sharkoon fans. The original fans are like an airplane at takeoff... still, the temperature is in the low thirties (31-32, but the room is 25 already ... I like it warm in my office).

HTH, Fury

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice setup, got the same case, I think the sound levels are a bit high, the case is made out of not very thick material. I've used sound isolating material to reduce the sound levels.

Hmmm... Mine is much less noisy than I expected. So far, I've only run the fans at the front on a low setting and used quiet 80mm fans for the bottom cage. The fan at the rear is temperature controlled, so spins slowly too.

What fans are you using?

Ok - so my case arrived.

I was able to remove the 5.25 -> 3.5 adapater in the top slot, bend back the tabs, and install the topmost (most difficult I hope) SuperMicro 5in3 drive cage.  I am having several problems all related to this drive cage:

1 - The plastic bezel is formed to accomodate the floppy disk.  It is only open to fit the faceplate of a floppy drive, not fully open like the other slots.  Only option seems to be to cut it.  Cutting plastic, esp black plastic, is not my specialty.  I don't think I have any option, though.  Does a dremmel work okay on plastic?

2 - The drive cage, when installed, is ever so slightly taller than the top of the case (we're taking maybe 1/64").  Although I think I could screw it on, it will litterally be smushed against the drive cage.  All of that is ok, I'm just worried it will conduct noise and be loud.

3 - The black top of the case part has a lip over the front of the case.  That lip hangs down so far that it prevents access to the top part of the drive cage.  And the drive cage isn't supposed to be pushed that far back - it really needs to extend forward at least 4 inches to alight with the bezel.  Bottom line, I'm going to have to dremel the lip of the case at the very top of the front. 

Hey Greenleaf, you interested in this install?  ;)

2 - The drive cage, when installed, is ever so slightly taller than the top of the case (we're taking maybe 1/64").  Although I think I could screw it on, it will litterally be smushed against the drive cage.  All of that is ok, I'm just worried it will conduct noise and be loud.

Hmmm.... mine was pretty flush:

f1ldw4.jpg

The other pics in this thread may be of use: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2031.msg73565#msg73565

Hmmm.... mine was pretty flush:

The other pics in this thread may be of use: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2031.msg73565#msg73565

Yea, that's about like mine.  The real problem is that my drive cages have to extend out the front of the case.  Since the top of the case has a lip on the front, and there is zero height to spare, the lip will need to go.

Post pics and we'll consider it...

Given how difficult it is to get this case in the US, I don't think it would be very feasible.  Still, I'm always open to new designs and ideas.

You misunderstood.  I was more interested in the service where you come to my house and fix mine! :)

Post pics and we'll consider it...

Given how difficult it is to get this case in the US, I don't think it would be very feasible.  Still, I'm always open to new designs and ideas.

You misunderstood.  I was more interested in the service where you come to my house and fix mine! :)

Pay for airfare and lodging and I will be there!

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have a quick question: I just built my first unRAID server based on the same case as yours, the Rebel 12. I have, just like you, placed six drives in the bottom cage as my 4in3 cages haven't arrived yet. The problem is that I get disk temperatures of around 42C when I am writing to a disk. Do you have the same issues?