Sharkoon Rebel 22

Hi!

I have a quick question: I just built my first unRAID server based on the same case as yours, the Rebel 12. I have, just like you, placed six drives in the bottom cage as my 4in3 cages haven't arrived yet. The problem is that I get disk temperatures of around 42C when I am writing to a disk. Do you have the same issues?

Did you put the 2x 80mm fans in the side per the first post in this thread?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops. No I didn't. Guess I'll have to order some  :P

Do you reckon 42 Degrees is too hot while under stress ( not idle)? I like how the unRAID is so extremley quiet at the moment without any HD fans.

EDIT: Just ordere'd 2x Noctua NF-R8-1800. Apparently they are very quiet.

The only way to hear a Noctua is to put your ear right next to one - careful not to cut yourself  ;D  I had Noctuas but swapped them out only because they didn't offer any sort of computer-based speed control (but you'll still be able to monitor their speed).  They do come with a couple of groovy adapters which let you manual change their speed.  I'd run them at their slowest setting first (ie the quietest) and see how that affects your disk temps.

oops. No I didn't. Guess I'll have to order some  :P

Do you reckon 42 Degrees is too hot while under stress ( not idle)? I like how the unRAID is so extremley quiet at the moment without any HD fans.

EDIT: Just ordere'd 2x Noctua NF-R8-1800. Apparently they are very quiet.

I speed control my 120mm fans (front and rear) = Church Mouse -> Wind Tunnel

I leave them at low (very quiet) in normal use, and switch them to full during parity checks.

The 80mm fans on the side are so quiet (I deliberately chose quiet ones) that they are fine running at full speed all the time.

• 3 months later...

How about vibration from the hard drives? Do the Scythe stabilizers do their work properly?

The case seems really flimsy, so every vibration from the hard drives will likely result in resonance.

Like any structure, it looks flimsy if you pull it apart, as I did. So does a building...  ;D

The structural stability comes from the....structure! No, no vibration. The thing is rock solid. Bolt 4 hard drives to the steel Scythe stabilisers, bolt the steel to the steel chassis with huge rubber grommets in between = solid and no vibration.

You can see the structure of the Scythe 4-in-3s better in this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2031.msg34915#msg34915

How about vibration from the hard drives? Do the Scythe stabilizers do their work properly?

The case seems really flimsy, so every vibration from the hard drives will likely result in resonance.

Like any structure, it looks flimsy if you pull it apart, as I did. So does a building...  ;D

The structural stability comes from the....structure! No, no vibration. The thing is rock solid. Bolt 4 hard drives to the steel Scythe stabilisers, bolt the steel to the steel chassis with huge rubber grommets in between = solid and no vibration.

Thanks! It pains me to replace my Lian Li PC-A17 case with this one, but dammit! I have storage needs too...  ;D

• 1 year later...

Haha, the whole setup?

I dunno. 100W? It all depends on the mobo, CPU, number of hard drives etc.

The large Sharkoon-based server I built only gets switched on a couple of times a month when I archive movies from my smaller server, so I don't really care about the power consumption too much.