Data Drive Upgrade Problem

Rudy81

Running Unraid 6.8.3 with one Parity drive and 4 data drives. Drives currently formatted in Reisurfs.

I am trying to upgrade all five 1TB drives to larger 4TB drives.  Default file system now set to XFS since the Unraid upgrade to current version.

I first upgraded the Parity drive and the upgrade went well following the manual's instructions.  I now have a 4TB parity drive.

Problem is when trying to upgrade the data drives. I have followed the available instructions. 

In trying to replace the first data drive, array is stopped, drive 1 set to 'no device', thus un-assigning it I believe.

Reboot machine and drive 1 shows the new 4TB drive available.  However, when I select that drive, the entry disappears from the screen and is no longer available for any drive slot. 

I would appreciate some guidance in upgrading the data drives.

Thanks,

Rudy

20 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Drives currently formatted in Reisurfs.

I am trying to upgrade all five 1TB drives to larger 4TB drives.  Default file system now set to XFS

Rebuilding to a larger disk will always result in the same filesystem as the original since parity is at the bit level not the file level.

To change filesystems you have to reformat, and so will have to copy the data somewhere else before reformatting a disk. Since you are going to larger disks you can just rebuild one disk, which results in a larger ReiserFS disk with all the same data but with a lot more free space, then copy or move the data from other disks to that free space. After emptying a disk, you can reformat it to XFS and then rebuild it to a larger disk, or rebuild it to a larger disk then reformat it to XFS.

28 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

when I select that drive, the entry disappears from the screen and is no longer available for any drive slot. 

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Thank you for your assistance.  I have 4 drives that are 4TB and I wish to use for data instead of the 1TB drives currently installed.  I tried putting the drives in the cache slot and found that I could format one of the 4 in Reisurfs.  The other 3 would not format and the system indicates "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout". 

Is there a way to have Unraid set a new partition layout on the entire disk so that I can then format it?  In the mean time, I am trying to replace the one drive I was able to format.

Update: Turns out 3 of the 5 drives are bad.  I can' t access them from any machine at all.  What I get for buying used drives on eBay.  Just ordered brand new drives to get this done properly.  I also need to look into moving the entire system to XFS.

Edited by Rudy81
Update