Parity Upgrade.. Have I made a boo-boo?

pm1961

My (working fine) array is virtually all 4TB disks.

I thought I'd upgrade the parity disk by inserting a new 8TB disk in the "Parity 2" slot and let it do it's thing.

It's in the middle of the Parity sync at the moment, but I'm having a wibble about what I do when it finishes.

Can I simply take out the old 4TB Parity drive and expect the arrray to restart normally? Or will it say "missing Parity 1" and rebuild again anyway?

I thought I might be taking a safer option than just removing the 4TB Parity drive and replacing it with the new 8TB drive and allowing it to rebuild the parity.  I think I thought the array would be less vunerable during the rebuild, but having read further, I'm not so sure now.....

TIA,

Paul

parity.JPG.21149d47f974ca1cc416d361f944b613.JPG

Edited by pm1961

After the rebuild of parity2 completes you can stop the array and Unassign parity1 and the array will start without it.   As you are then again down to a single parity drive (albeit parity2) your array is protected against any 1 drive failing.

At that point you can re-use the old parity1 for whatever you want.  You need to leave the 8TB drive as parity2 as the calculations for parity1 and parity2 are different so they are not interchangeable.