Drive in Error State

Hi,

This morning, I received a notification that one of my drives is in an error state and has been disabled. I'm passing along my diagnostics. Please let me know what steps I need to take next. The drive that was reported to be in an error state is Hitachi_HUA723030ALA640_MK0331YHH6MHSA

Thanks,

-Matt

nas-diagnostics-20201017-1109.zip

Edited by Matthew Kent
10 minutes ago, Matthew Kent said:

If the drive is being emulated, does that mean all of the data is available via the parity drive? If it's all available, does that mean I is theory could move all of the data to other drives?

It means the drive is being emulated using the combination of the parity drive PLUS all the data drives.   The data is therefore available just if the drive was really present, and you can do anything you could normally do.

Assuming you moved all the data off the emulated disk, the actual physical disk itself has not been changed since it was disabled, so no data has been moved from the physical disk.

To rebuild a disk to itself (whether parity or data)

1. Stop array
  2. Unassign disabled disk
  3. Start array with disabled disk unassigned
  4. Stop array
  5. Reassign disabled disk
  6. Start array to begin rebuild
12 hours ago, trurl said:

Assuming you moved all the data off the emulated disk

Also, I generally don't recommend moving data from the emulated disk, it just makes everything work a lot harder, since all disks must be read to emulate the disabled disk. And in the end, you need to rebuild anyway and rebuild will get the data back, so no point in going to all that extra work on yourself and your hardware.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:19 PM, trurl said:

Assuming you moved all the data off the emulated disk, the actual physical disk itself has not been changed since it was disabled, so no data has been moved from the physical disk.

To rebuild a disk to itself (whether parity or data)

1. Stop array
  2. Unassign disabled disk
  3. Start array with disabled disk unassigned
  4. Stop array
  5. Reassign disabled disk
  6. Start array to begin rebuild

Hi,

I've checked over all of the cabling. Everything looks good and there seemed to be proper communication.  I haven't seen any smart errors on my disk 3 and decided to follow the above. After the rebuild began, I'm now seeing a ton of errors on my disk 2. Any idea what's going on? This is a brand new disk with a lot of important data on it.

I've paused the rebuild and am including a new diagnostics. Do I need to replace the cabling on this drive?

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.15.25 AM.png

nas-diagnostics-20201027-0839.zip

Edited by Matthew Kent

It looks as if disk2 has dropped offline (so there is no SMART information for that dtive in the diagnostics) and in that case no point in trying to continue rebuild of disk3.

Doing a power cycle on the server may be required to bring it back online.    As always you want to check the SATA/power cabling to the drive.    New diagnostics after the reboot should allow us to check that it looks OK.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, for the second time in about in a week, my drive 3 has gone into "error state". I replaced the drive that was in this spot on my array about 2 months ago, and the smart checks come back good. Can you see anything in the diagnostics that would indicate what's happening. I was pretty sure when I swapped the drive I put in a new sata cable, but I'm going to put in another new one now and maybe change the port it's connected to.

nas-diagnostics-20201203-2323.zip nas-diagnostics-20201209-0035.zip