New PCIe Card - Drive Not Recognized

Zudnic

Hi, I'm moving my config to a Dell T320 server. Currently I have unRAID working but I'm short a slot, so I'm using a USB stick for cache temporarily.

I have a 240gb SSD that I intend to use for cache. I formatted and prepped the drive with a USB enclosure.

I purchased a cheap PCIe card on Amazon. There didn't seem to be much guidance online about this (the official list in documentation is marked as outdated), so I picked one somewhat arbitrarily ("The majority of common hardware ‘just works’."). I installed the card in the machine and got unRAID to boot correctly, however it does not recognize the drive - it doesn't show up in the 'main' tab.

The card came with a driver disc. Do I need to install the driver, and if so, how? Is there something at the BIOS level?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

That card is visually identical to two that I am currently using with no issues, one in my main Unraid and one in the backup.

I just pulled the third one (not yet installed) out of it's box for a look and all the silk screen labeling and componet positioning matches the card you posted, though I note that card does not specifically identify the controller chip used which is a little unusual.

In the Unraid device list it is "ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)"

If you look closely, something similar should be written on the main chip - in my case ASM1061. Using a mobile phone camera zoom, balanced on an empty cup makes a good way to see the small writing. Often needs a torch or some light from the side to get contrast.

No drivers required, support is native to Unraid.

If you watch the screen duting boot, is the Asmedia card detected?

Should 'splash' on the screen during POST.

Does Unraid see the controller in Tools>System Devices?

If not, try a different slot, or you may need to take a look around BIOS settings.

Good luck

Thank you @Decto for the guidance.

What I eventually noticed is that the server has a SATA connection intended for a secondary optical device. I was able to connect the drive directly to the existing SATA connection and the server then recognized it. I was able to pull the PCIe card out entirely and go with the native hardware.

I'll add this for the benefit of anyone who is an utter n00b like me: if you need an additional hard drive connection, there's a good chance you have one already. Your drive has two connections, one smaller and one larger - often enclosures and the like have both connections in one joined plug. So long as your drive is getting the data and power connections, it'll work. In my case the data (smaller) is connected directly to the motherboard using a SATA cable, and the power I am stealing from the optical drive connection.

I struggled to find a good guide to fundamentals, this one was the best of the lot:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/131231/how-to-install-a-new-hard-drive-in-your-desktop-pc.html