Shucked WD External Drive Cases.... Be Kind!

It's kinda Unraid related...........

Once I had my empty shucked cases, I thought I'd put an old drive (non WD) in each of the cases for my sons to use on their desks.

Long story short, I can't get windows to recognise the disk when it's in the case via it's USB controller. I've tried both USB 2 & 3 slots. It eventually comes up with a "Fatal controller error" message. I've tried both exFAT and NTFS as formats.

The disks work fine on the end of a SATA cable inside the pc.

Does anyone know if those boards/cases are crippled only to accept WD disks?

TIA

Paul

• pm1961 changed the title to Shucked WD External Drive Cases.... Be Kind!

Yep, done all that.

If I just plug in the USB adaptor alone, W10 device manager sees a "WD Mybook" listed under disks, whether it's got a physical disk on it or not.

If I plug in the 8TB WD disk that came with it, all is well...... If I plug in any, otherwise working HD, I just get an IO hardware error...

It's bizarre... never seen anything like it....

45 minutes ago, pm1961 said:

Yep, done all that.

If I just plug in the USB adaptor alone, W10 device manager sees a "WD Mybook" listed under disks, whether it's got a physical disk on it or not.

If I plug in the 8TB WD disk that came with it, all is well...... If I plug in any, otherwise working HD, I just get an IO hardware error...

It's bizarre... never seen anything like it....

I think the Mybook uses some type of onboard drive encryption.

I have a few of these about my desk from shucking, just tried a Mybook board, no joy with a couple of drives. A board from an elements 8TB drive works fine with either which confirms it's a hardware issue. It may be that the board looks for a drive feature relating to encryption, however that's just a guess.

I tried to clear ot in WDtools and that also fails.

Smart data looks OK, but you can't delete or create partitions.

Edited by Decto