Share folder help

Korky

So new here and new to Unraid and new to linux things.

I have a couple of questions about share setup and Sonarr setup.

1st- whats the better way to set up folders inside shares?

Setup a share in unraid then add folders to it via windows or add folders to share in Unraid. ( If so How do you add folders under shares?)

I have it set like this now

/mnt/user/media

|___ archived TV shows

|___current TV shows

|___movies

|___music

|___Home movies

|____Pictures

But think it would be better to have more shares for each category for for taking advantage of file splitting

like so:

/mnt/user/movies

/mnt/user/TV SHOWS

|__ archived TV shows

|__current TV shows

/mnt/user/movies

/mnt/user/music

/mnt/user/Home movies

/mnt/user/Pictures

so Next question has to do with Sonarr setup. 

If I have a share with both TV categories how do I set that in the docker ?

I think I need to add a 4th HOST path  but how would that look?

This is how i have it now but would like to change it to have both archived TV shows and current TV shows

image.png.8dda8b7b1a1240ad65022745a9a142b0.png

I think it should be something like  /mnt/user/TV SHOWS/archived TV shows/

and then add a 4th host path   /mnt/user/TV SHOWS/current TV shows/

But then do I have to change the container path?

If so, to what?

Thanks for your time.

1 hour ago, Korky said:

Setup a share in unraid then add folders to it via windows or add folders to share in Unraid. ( If so How do you add folders under shares?)

Windows.  If you wanted to use Unraid for creating folders you'd have to use the command line, krusader, mc, or any other file management tool...........   Windows is just easier since you're using it anyways.

1 hour ago, Korky said:

But think it would be better to have more shares for each category for for taking advantage of file splitting

You can do it that way if you want... it's personal preference.  Unraid doesn't care what share you have files on.  In practicality though, do you want to have to map 6+ network drives in Windows? Unless you just access everything through \\unraid... but personally I have all my media on a media share, and that share is mapped to a single drive in Windows.  Again, all personal preference.

1 hour ago, Korky said:

so Next question has to do with Sonarr setup. 

If I have a share with both TV categories how do I set that in the docker ?

So this is where your personal preference makes things sloppy....  I personally don't see a reason to seperate current/archive tv shows.  Sonarr doesn't care what you're watching/not watching, and any media player you're using should show you what you are currently watching, what you have left to watch, and be able to hide things that you've already watched ("archived").

Here's what I would probably do...   Set Sonarr's media path to /mnt/user/TV SHOWS/current, add another path for archive.

Untitled.png.e94e55a1c674aa9f77818ee2aa4ebbec.png

Then in Sonarr add all the shows from the archive using the import existing series on disk.... which would be accessible under /archive from my example and check that everything adds correctly... which it should.

Then do the same thing for current shows, using the default /media location.. 

This method will never automatically update anything in archive.  If you move a show from current to archive, Sonarr will still think it's in current.  You'll have to manually change the path in Sonarr to reflect that it's been moved to archive.

Other than that, this should give you what you want...

Disk access was the reason I was thinking of Archived TV  and current TV shows. We record a lot of shows watch and delete them.

Archived shows are pretty much stored and watched whenever but don't change.

So I thought maybe it was better to keep separated on a single drive to limit writes/reads/delete.

Do the shares all need to be mapped in windows? why?

On 10/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, Korky said:

Disk access was the reason I was thinking of Archived TV  and current TV shows. We record a lot of shows watch and delete them.

Archived shows are pretty much stored and watched whenever but don't change.

So I thought maybe it was better to keep separated on a single drive to limit writes/reads/delete.

Do the shares all need to be mapped in windows? why?

Unless you specifically created a share for the archive stuff and limited it to a particular drive, you'll never really be able to limit read/write/delete.  Maybe that's what you had planned anyways?   But by default the way Unraid works is you could potentially have your archive tv shows spread across 4 disks and not even realize it.

Shares don't 'need' to be mapped in Windows.. but it's the most convenient way to access them... in my opinion.  If they're accessed infrequently then I guess it doesn't really matter.  I access multiple shares frequently and therefore have them mapped as network drives.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, Korky said:

Do the shares all need to be mapped in windows?

I never do.

And I use separate shares for different purposes, including for different types of media. This allows different settings for different things, though I will admit one of the main settings I take advantage of this way is Included disks. I never bother with Split Level, for example.

So, as already said

On 10/21/2020 at 7:20 AM, Energen said:

it's personal preference

14 hours ago, Energen said:

Unless you specifically created a share for the archive stuff and limited it to a particular drive, you'll never really be able to limit read/write/delete.  Maybe that's what you had planned anyways? 

That's kind of what I had in my mind to do was use a separate drive ( smaller ) for Current TV shows so they could easily be watched and deleted without being spread across the array. (maybe that doesn't really matter. )

with Archived TV shows I don't mind so much but would like to keep the seasons at least together, That would be specifying Automatic split top 2 levels?

image.png.b332de414504b5ce065e963d9f5a5042.png