Reduce power consumption with powertop

Hi Everyone,

i found this threat because i was wodering if my power consumption is "normal" and if i clould decrease it probably with bios or unraid settings.

Specs:

i7 8700k on ASROCK Fatality z370 Professional gaming i7 Board

64 GB (4x16) 3200 MHz DDR4

Sapphire 5700 XT

6x 3 TB HDD

1x NVME

2x SATA SSD

5x 120mm fan

Asus 10 GBit Ethernet Card

SATA Extention PCIE Card

USB PCIE Card.

It idles (with some dockers running) between 170 and 200 Watts.

10 minutes ago, zw3ist3in said:

It idles (with some dockers running) between 170 and 200 Watts.

Uff.

1.) Which power supply are you using?

2.) How do you use the GPU? It's power consumption should be in idle between 8 and 35W, but if it is not used by Unraid or an VM it has a much higher power consumption (as it never reaches the idle state).

3.) Aren't you using a spin down delay for your HDDs?

4.) Why do you have a SATA extension card installed although your MB has 8 SATA ports onboard?

5.) Why do you have an Asus 10G card installed although your MB has 10G onboard?

6.) Why do you have an additional USB PCIE Card?

Your MB is for sure a bad basis for an efficient server as it has:

- additional SATA controller for Port 7 and 8

- TB

- WiFi

- 10G

- RGB

A small, but additional impact are high-frequency RAM modules and their amount (2x 32 GB is more efficient than 4x 16 GB)

Thanks alot for the answer @mgutt!

That is alot to think about. The parts (MB, CPU and RAM) just came out of my prevouis desktop rig because i upgraded it.

I thought it was s good upgrade to the server compared to my z270 and i5 6600 before, because of more cores/threads.

But after your mentiones, i am not sure if it was the right thing to use it..

To your questions:

• As a PSU i use a bequiet 600W.
  • The 10G internal card was not reliable when I used it as Desktop sometimes it just completely dropped connection until reboot (macOS and Windows) so i bought an extra card.
  • How do i measure the GPUs power consumption seperately? GPU usecase: I use it to learn and experiment with GPU Passthroug in VMs. No mining or plex encoding so far.
  • Good Idea, i just passed the SATA Card to the neu board without looking if there were enough ports, ill correct that.
  • HDD Spindown: I never spin down the HDDs so far. Should I? Long ago some datacenter guy told me that these NAS/Server drived dont like often spindowns and that it was better for the lifetime of the drives to keep them spinning. Is this incorrect?

What would you recommend, better buying/exchanging my CPU/MB with another board?

The problem is: The CPU is great its allcore 5 GHz stable (which is nonsense for the unraud server I know). But its delidded and due to liquid metal it looks used :). so i dont know if i can sell it though. That was the reason why i decided to give it a second life in the server.

Sorry if my english is bumpy, im german though.

1 hour ago, zw3ist3in said:

How do i measure the GPUs power consumption seperately? GPU usecase: I use it to learn and experiment with GPU Passthroug in VMs. No mining or plex encoding so far.

You can only measure the difference. Like stopping the docker service totally and starting a VM and wait a little bit until the OS is idling. Now do the same while the VM is stopped. You now have much higher power consumption. Conclusion: Never stop your VM.

HDD Spindown: I never spin down the HDDs so far. Should I? Long ago some datacenter guy told me that these NAS/Server drived dont like often spindowns and that it was better for the lifetime of the drives to keep them spinning. Is this incorrect?

90% of the German unRAID users use Spindown delays as we have really high electricity costs and I never heard of one complaining faster dying HDDs. I think this is a prejudice from the past when HDDs had a bad quality. Now HDDs have 50.000 Power Cycles as part of the warranty and what is better for an HDD: power cycle + low temps or 24/7 spinning + high temps? I'm convinced lower temps are better for a long lifetime.

As a PSU i use a bequiet 600W

Depending on the efficiency it can add alone 10 to 20W in power consumption. But it depends on your electricity costs / budget, if its better to buy a more efficient power supply like a Seasonic Titanium etc

What would you recommend, better buying/exchanging my CPU/MB with another board?

I prefer the Gigabyte C246M-WU4. Hard to get and not cheap. But it has 2x M.2 (X4) and 8x SATA Onboard. It even supports ECC RAM if you ever switch to a Xeon CPU. But with a 10G card and dGPU all slots would be occupied. Without dGPU and 10G card it's power is under 10W and with I would expect 30W if your VM isn't shutdown.

im german though.

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/76-german-deutsch/

😉

• Like 1

@mgutt

the mainboard is an Asrock Z490M-ITX/ac. Usb devices are Logitech Unified Reciver for the K400r, Conbee II stick, Kingston 32gb USB with Unraid. Nvidia gtx 1050ti with connected Monitor and dummy plug and Onboard Intel HD630 with connected monitor -> both using the same monitor with a HDMI Switch (powered with usb) Monitor is most times off and not used. 2x Viper VPN100 1TB for the Cache and 3x WDC for the pool.

IMG_0826.thumb.jpg.a37f027c938ff6fd1293b279e4a106a5.jpgIMG_0824.thumb.jpg.e42e52135ff59ff36cae121e75464a95.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Edited by M2k
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, mgutt said:

iGPU

Install the iGPU driver plugin through unRAID Apps if your CPU has an iGPU.

CPU governor

Use the tips & tweaks Plugin to set the CPU governor to "powersave"

Which plugin do you mean for the iGPU? Should I use this in my go file?

# -------------------------------------------------
# Enable hardware transcoding on intel
# -------------------------------------------------
modprobe i915

And is Power Save really the best option? This is the suggestion of the Tips & Tweaks plugin: It is recommended you use the 'Performance' Governor for best performance and power savings

Hi,

My CPU doesn't want to go under the C3 state.

image.thumb.png.d80d6387a58a67b17c0ce7b68bf4ec25.png

I have an i3-10100 with a MSI MAG B460 TORPEDO motherboard. There are no PCI devices connected and I changed the CPU Governor setting is placed on "Power Save"

I also changed the following in the BIOS:

image.thumb.png.3d89e25265dffaffa71ed6212e9fe182.png

Is there something I'm missing to get to the lower C-states? I also installed the Intel GPU TOP plugin.

Thanks

11 hours ago, mgutt said:

It's in the unRAID Apps. No need to edit the Go file.

Screenshot_20220124-095140.png

I get no output on the monitor with this app. The boot is shown normal, but only a black screen when there should be a login. I tried with Uefi and Legacy. 

Before the plugin i was able to boot into gui with legacy. Uefi had the same problem with the blank screen, but it was displaying a blinking cursor. I was able to fix this with modprobe i915. 

With the app there is only a black screen. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:57 PM, vincentvriends said:

Is there maybe another tool available in the Nerdtools plugin to show the correct values for the newer CPU’s?

Post here if you find something, I am also on 10100 and was freaking out that after changing bios settings my output looks like this:

image.thumb.png.f1a16a6913465e717098b4e27ef330da.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for this thread. I followed it and managed to get my CPU to start using C2 and C3 states, but I can't get it to go any higher than that. Would you be able to help?

Spec:

Intel Pentium G6405

8GB 2666 RAM x 1

2 x 8TB WD Red

1 x SATA SSD

MSI B560-A PRO on latest BIOS

No dGPU

No PCI-e cards

I only have 1 docker container for SABNZBD. No VMs.

image.png.80e3c52921cd5c23dbc9cffb0dc649c4.png

1 hour ago, Skilid said:

managed to get my CPU to start using C2 and C3 states, but I can't get it to go any higher than that.

Did you set anything in the BIOS and if yes, which options?

Do you execute powetop --auto-tune or the commands?

We need much more input ;)

23 minutes ago, mgutt said:

Did you set anything in the BIOS and if yes, which options?

Do you execute powetop --auto-tune or the commands?

We need much more input ;)

I have enabled everything I can see in the BIOS. I have similar options to a post above, and have all the same settings. See image below.

Yes, I followed your guide and executed powertop --auto-tune.- I haven't run any other commands.

image.png.96979152e50f5c45bd6c63a74cd07d20.png

See some other screenshots from powertop attached. Please let me know what other info you need :)

Will I see much more of a power saving going higher than C3?

Thanks!

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG