Reduce power consumption with powertop

11 hours ago, bigbossman0816 said:

powertop tries to install everytime i reboot the server

Remove the file from /boot/extra.

But note: Maybe you misunderstood how Unraid works. Every reboot is a fresh Unraid installation. This means every application which is not installed on reboot, is not present anymore. And you should know that most of the applications (like powertop) do not run in the background. So it does not influence your system having additional applications or not (its "only" wasting space).

On 12/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, mgutt said:

- Delete the two network config files in /config

- move "menu default" in syslinux/syslinux.cfg after "label Unraid OS Safe Mode":
image.png.a2d6ed561d3dfe959397429603ce7bdc.png

by that your server boots in safe mode and obtains a new IP address through your DHCP server.

Thanks - and just to be clear, I do this by unplugging the usb from the unraid when unraid is off and editing it on another PC that I plug it into? Should I also try it with the installer files (and folder) removed from the temp directory I created from OP? 

52 minutes ago, ryry said:

I do this by unplugging the usb from the unraid when unraid is off and editing it on another PC that I plug it into?

If you can't boot, this is the only option 😉

53 minutes ago, ryry said:

Should I also try it with the installer files (and folder) removed from the temp directory I created from OP? 

They aren't in tmp. They are in /extra. And as I said. I don't think this is your problem. I'm using the package since 6.10 and now with the most recent version without problems.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:08 PM, luzankia said:

I just receved my generic ASM1166, updated with the last silverstone firmware and no problem since then with --auto-tune.

Would you mind giving some details on this? I've got a generic ASM1166 and I'd like to update the firmware but can't find a firmware file or tool on the silverstone site. Thanks :) 

Hey guys has anyone figured out a decent way to make the system sleep & wake on drive access etc?

This lives in every other OS & NAS around but isn't built into unraid - it's bizarre. 

Theres the s3 sleep plugin but it doesn't play nice with the array.. it must be possible to pause the array but perhaps this is the limitation of running the whole OS in ram is that it must be constantly powered up for it to work!?

3 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

doing the search as listed provided instructions and a .ROM in a zip file from station drivers.

With all due respect, I realise this is a busy forum and people probably ask the same questions over and over, but the only link in this thread is the one to recommended cards thread for a "Firmware Upgrade" - I read all 8 pages here and found no other information.

I followed the link to the other thread, and read 8 pages in to that before I found some instructions - but as you say they mention a ROM from station drivers, and the ROM version was not the one mentioned here as a "fix" for the powertop tuning issue.
Luzankia mentioned silverstone firmware so I was simply asking which one he had used as I'd prefer to use one that is a known fix than a random one from station drivers on an unrelated thread (it turned out they are the same but the rom naming doesn't match versions mentioned here).

I appreciate everything everyone does here and unraid is a brilliant OS but it seems like a lot of times I ask questions the response is a stack exchange style "just read, this has been answered before".

I think the community would greatly benefit from a wiki rather than relying on a forum where the answers are text buried 8 pages into a 10 page thread :) or at least we could change the firmware update link on the first page here to point directly to the relevant comment https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102010-recommended-controllers-for-unraid/?do=findComment&comment=1185707

58 minutes ago, PhilBarker said:

I think the community would greatly benefit from a wiki rather than relying on a forum where the answers are text buried 8 pages into a 10 page thread :) or at least we could change the firmware update link on the first page here to point directly to the relevant comment

There was a Wiki for over a decade now. Even in the golden days, the Wiki content was never as up to date or as easy to use as the forums. It allows for changes once you're signed in as your forum account.

Old and newer links to the wiki:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_Wiki

https://wiki.unraid.net/Documentation

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, dopeytree said:

This lives in every other OS & NAS around but isn't built into unraid - it's bizarre. 

The only Synology NAS which supported sleep + wake-up on access was the DS213+/DS413. It was called "Deep Sleep" and this feature was canceled as it was unreliable. And even if you have QNAP NAS which supports S3, it will never wake up on "drive access". S3 means dead/offline. So "every other OS" is simply false. If you want S3, you MUST wake up the server through WoL or similar.

• Thanks 1

It worked again after a reboot - didn't end up needing to change anything.  Thanks for your help!

I want to try the autotune but with the caution now in OP I also want to confirm that I don't have an incompatible SATA controller. I have the following motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UD3H-rev-10#ov

Chipset:

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0/SATA3 1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2 2~5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices

1 x mSATA connector
* The SATA2 5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive.

Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.

Marvell 88SE9172 chip:

2 x eSATA 6Gb/s connectors on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

Support for RAID 0 and RAID 1

Is there a way to check the SATA controller model number via Unraid?

18 minutes ago, ryry said:

Is there a way to check the SATA controller model number via Unraid?

You quoted already one:

Marvell 88SE9172 chip

But its only for the back panel regarding the description. 

And regarding your question: Tools > System Devices. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, mgutt said:

You quoted already one:

Marvell 88SE9172 chip

But its only for the back panel regarding the description. 

And regarding your question: Tools > System Devices. 

Thanks - I ran auto-tune.  They're reporting as good now but I don't see any change in power consumption.

Hello, thanks for the guide @mguttI've followed your build regarding CPU and MB posted over at "-Die sparsamsten Systeme (<30W Idle)-"

Specs: 

Intel® Core™ i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz

C246M-WU4

Corsair RM750x

8x HDD 8TB (power measured while spun down)

2x m.2 NVME for cache

2x NIC connected

No PCI-E device

No USB device (except Unraid boot USB)

VM disabled

Docker disabled

Unraid 6.11.5

However I'm only able to get as low as 35W right now

Getting only to C2

image.thumb.png.8e9a2533836e4fd7331d6f4c696e67d9.png

image.png.8a17439fb355377537895b6b96e0b2fd.png

And some phone pictures of bios settings:1103203532_YNCyGCt-Imgur.thumb.jpg.3466b96c41091e59d631bfa6cff5c998.jpg1568940069_FaGNQiN-Imgur.thumb.jpg.e27a3b1f8790931b3c69a12e6f8e64a7.jpg2119628484_tiXK7HX-Imgur.thumb.jpg.ef29b863161641497baa9805100bcd96.jpg

Edit: added photos

image.thumb.png.74f9c86fa21c9340096073efb0174714.png

lspci -vv | awk '/ASPM/{print $0}' RS= | grep --color -P '(^[a-z0-9:.]+|ASPM )'
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #17 (rev f0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                LnkCap: Port #17, Speed 8GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <4us
                LnkCtl: ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk-
00:1b.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #21 (rev f0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                LnkCap: Port #21, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <16us
                LnkCtl: ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk+
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 8GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <4us
                LnkCtl: ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk-
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                LnkCap: Port #6, Speed 8GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <16us
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                LnkCap: Port #9, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <16us
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L1 <8us
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <2us, L1 <16us
05:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Kingston Technology Company, Inc. A2000 NVMe SSD (rev 03) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L1 <8us

Edited by Chopsting
Added photos and debug text
6 hours ago, Chopsting said:

2x m.2 NVME for cache

Which one? Disable Array auto start and remove the NVMes and check again.

Corsair RM750x

2018? This would an inefficient power supply.

2x NIC connected

Why both?

53 minutes ago, mgutt said:

Which one? Disable Array auto start and remove the NVMes and check again.

WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD 1TB M.2 (WDS100T3B0C)

and Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB

Will test soon and post a new reply

2018? This would an inefficient power supply.

Corsair RM750X 750W v2

Purchased 2019-12-12, yeah it's the 2018 version :(

I'm looking to buy a new - recommendation is RM550x?

Why both?

I have no good defense, saw 2 NIC - plugged in :) 

Will move to just the one.