Reduce power consumption with powertop

Powertop [Support auf Deutsch]

Powertop is an Intel tool (yes, works for AMD, too) to check power consumption states of sata, pcie, usb, etc devices. You can download powertop as follows, then restart your server and it will be automatically installed:

mkdir /boot/extra
cd /boot/extra
wget https://github.com/mgutt/unraid-packages/raw/main/6.11.0/powertop-2.15-x86_64-1.txz

Then open your terminal and execute:

powertop

Now press "TAB" until you reach "Idle Stats" and check your CPU Pkg (HW). Depending of the brand and model of your CPU you can reach different C-States. If your system isn't optimized, you will see this:

179241080_2021-07-1312_14_03.png.5a2dc3644c02b04d052699f05a312332.png

If you press "TAB" you will see additional information about standby states of different hardware components of your system.

In the tab "Tunables" you will see multiple devices which have the state "Bad", which means powertop found devices which do not allow standby/sleep states:

image.png.94cb4936d5f88c53125c6840c57fefc1.png

Now you can execute the following command to optimize this:

WARNING

Many SATA controllers (JMB xxx or ASM xxxx) do not support link power management and your disks loose connection after reaching spindown! Read further before executing --auto-tune!

powertop --auto-tune &>/dev/null

By that all compents will return "Good":

1191854226_2020-10-2112_53_35.png.1465ea3c92903b3a9bc63dfe4b51d0d0.png

Now, your server should reach better C-States.

Package C-States

This table shows the dependency between CPU Core and CPU Package C-States:

c10.thumb.png.992dda45847ab7f6ebcdfa7bb70b310c.png

Several things are important to reach Package (Pkg) C-States C3, C7, C9 or even C10:

Accurate power measurement

- do some research how accurate your power meter is (UPS integrated power meters are usually bad)

- close your Unraid WebGUI and wait 1 minute! (this closes many background jobs, which cost your energy, use your PC's terminal and "ssh root@tower" to monitor your C-States with powertop)

- don't use Unraid in GUI mode (you should avoid this mode, if you want low power consumption)

Powertop shows only C1, C2 and C3 Pgk-States

This happens if powertop does not recognize your CPU (happens for most AMD CPUs and recent Intel CPUs). Your CPU could still reach C9 or even C10, but powertop is not able to obtain this and shows only C3.

BIOS

- only Gigabyte 8th or 9th Intel: enable CEC2019

- enable ASPM (Active-State Power Management) in the PCI settings

- enable all C-States like C7/C9/C10 in the CPU settings ("auto" usually means "disabled", so select "enable")

- disable Audio

- disable RGB LED controller

- disable Turbo in the CPU settings

PCIe cards

Some PCIe cards prevent states other than C0 or C3 (Intel). As an example my Qnap Aquantia 10G card allowed only C3 while all my Intel 10G cards allowed C7. Without any installed card I'm able to reach C10.

iGPU

Install the iGPU driver plugin through unRAID Apps if your CPU has an iGPU

hpet

Set hpet=disable as a Kernel setting if you have an 8th, 9th or 10th Intel CPU as there is a bug which can cause crashes (shouldn't be necessary anymore since unRAID 6.10)

CPU governor

Use the tips & tweaks Plugin to set the CPU governor to "powersave" or use the below commands in the Go file.

10G networking

SFP+ DAC consumes less power than SFP+ SR/LR and both less than 10G RJ45. Depending on your internet connection the most efficient scenario is not to use a 10G switch. Instead directly connect your client with your server and use a second 1G cable to connect with your internet router. By that your 10G controller/card goes to sleep while your client is powered off. In comparison an active connection to a 10G switch never allows sleep states.

MTU

Surprisingly a user was not able to reach any C-State other than C1E after setting the MTU to 9000.

SATA Controller

Some mainboards or pcie cards provide SATA ports through an additional SATA controller. Sadly some of the most popular and usually well supported JMB xxx and ASM xxxx controllers have an incompatibility to "powertop --auto-tune" because it sets all SATA ports to "med_power_with_dipm". To bypass this problem, you should not use "powertop --auto-tune". Instead read the "Commands" paragraph to set the commands manually. Then you can remove the line with the "med_power_with_dipm" setting or you can set each hostX individually. Example:

# Enable SATA link power management (this skips SATA host3 and host4)
echo med_power_with_dipm | tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/link_power_management_policy
echo med_power_with_dipm | tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host2/link_power_management_policy
echo med_power_with_dipm | tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host5/link_power_management_policy
echo med_power_with_dipm | tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host6/link_power_management_policy

If you are using the ASM1166 you could even try to update the firmware.

NVMe

A user found out that a specific NVMe SSD allowed only C2, while with a Samsung Evo Plus the system reached C10.

Power supply

An unnecessary high-power and/or inefficient power supply can raise the power consumption by 5 to 15W. Choose wisely:

- as low power (watt) as possible

- as efficient as possible (like Titanium grade)

- avoid dual power supply setups (server grade hardware is not build for efficiency)

If you plan to build a setup with extremely low power consumption, consider these power supplies:

- PicoPSU (up to 200 watts, but is limited to ~4 SSDs as it has low 5V output)

- Corsair RM550x (2021) (this looses only 1 watt more than a PicoPSU at 10W to 20W load!)

- BeQuiet Pure Power 11 FM 550W (similar to the Corsair, but 2 watts more than a PicoPSU, but cheaper than the Corsair)

Notes:

- As of writing this post all other power supplies are much more inefficient. So don't think for example a Corsair SF450 is more efficient than the Corsair RM550x (2021) although the former is Platinum grade . It's not. I have both and the Platinum looses 4W more at 10W load. The reason is that some of the most recent power supplies include a new technology to reach the future ATX12VO standard, which has the requirement of being extremely efficient at low loads. For example Seasonic told me in 06/2022 that power supplies for ATX12VO are still in development.

- An HDD can consume up to 30W if you switch on your server, but in this state the other server components do not reach their maximum load. So summarize wisely to obtain the correct power supply size.

- Do not buy the Corsair / BeQuiet if you don't reach a power consumption under 30W: Above this, usual Platinum / Titanium power supplies are more efficient.

Commands

Instead of using "powertop --auto-tune" you could add the following power-saving commands to your /boot/config/go file (stop your array and execute them through your terminal to test them first) with the Config File Editor Plugin:

# -------------------------------------------------
# Set power-efficient CPU governor
/etc/rc.d/rc.cpufreq powersave

# Disable CPU Turbo
[[ -f /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo ]] && echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo
[[ -f /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost ]] && echo "0" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost

# Enable power-efficient ethernet

# enable IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet): Could be incompatible to LACP bonds!
for i in /sys/class/net/eth?; do dev=$(basename $i); [[ $(echo $(ethtool --show-eee $dev 2> /dev/null) | grep -c "Supported EEE link modes: 1") -eq 1 ]] && ethtool --set-eee $dev eee on; done

# Disable wake on lan
for i in /sys/class/net/eth?; do ethtool -s  $(basename $i) wol d; done

# powertop tweaks

# Enable SATA link power management
echo med_power_with_dipm | tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy

# Runtime PM for I2C Adapter (i915 gmbus dpb)
echo auto | tee /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-*/device/power/control

# Autosuspend for USB device
echo auto | tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control

# Runtime PM for disk
echo auto | tee /sys/block/sd*/device/power/control

# Runtime PM for PCI devices
echo auto | tee /sys/bus/pci/devices/????:??:??.?/power/control

# Runtime PM for ATA devices
echo auto | tee /sys/bus/pci/devices/????:??:??.?/ata*/power/control

Note: EEE can cause problems with 2.5G Intel Ethernet.

Config File Editor:

1127764090_2020-10-2112_59_21.png.6c68b2422b81593f8d85f261748b34b1.png

Debugging

Here are some helpful terminal commands.

Spin down all disks (Unraid only)

for dev in /dev/sd?; do /usr/local/sbin/emcmd cmdSpindown="$(grep -zoP "(?<=name=\")[a-z0-9]+(?=\"\ndevice=\"${dev: -3})" /var/local/emhttp/disks.ini | tr -d '\0')"; done

Obtain ASPM status of all devices:

lspci -vv | awk '/ASPM/{print $0}' RS= | grep --color -P '(^[a-z0-9:.]+|ASPM )'

Watch CPU frequency:

watch -n3 "cpufreq-info | grep 'current CPU'"

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Seems to work great for me!

Had to disable this as the Array did not come online with this enabled:

# Runtime PM for port ata od PCI devices
#for i in /sys/bus/pci/devices/????:??:??.?/ata*/power/control; do
#    echo 'auto' > $i
#done

Also did add this:

# VM writeback timeout
for i in /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs; do
    echo '1500' > $i
done

Have a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4+ MB

Edited by Allram
Added code brackets
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Allram said:

Had to disable this as the Array did not come online with this enabled:

Generate a report with powertop. It will contain the commands to set auto for unused pci slots. I don't know why this general rule is a problem for your server. It seems one of your pci cards has a problem with automatic power control.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip!
I ran the option:

--auto-tune

All seems fine after 16hrs. Current consumption at an average of 8.5W. Coming from Ubuntu where I had an average of 6.5W but that was without the samsung flash-drive and ConbeeII stick. I have more USB devices attached but those where already there under Ubuntu.

I do suspect a rather high consumption from the Samsung 32 GB Bar Plus flash-drive. After switching to this drive from a Kingston one during the Unraid trial period, consumption rose by 1W.  

6 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

There has to be some cost to this, no? I haven't noticed a difference but nothing's free.

Possible reduced stability. It's almost like the inverse of overclocking. Circuits are designed and tested to run at spec, deviate and you risk bit errors. Depending on the quality of your specific silicon you might be fine, but you don't know for sure.

How valuable is your data integrity?

See @mgutt's reply, I was referencing undervolting, wrong thread.

Edited by jonathanm
wrong thread
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Possible reduced stability. It's almost like the inverse of overclocking. Circuits are designed and tested to run at spec, deviate and you risk bit errors. Depending on the quality of your specific silicon you might be fine, but you don't know for sure.

How valuable is your data integrity?

I wouldn't take any meaningful risk to save 4W.

Would you distinguish between any of the power-saving tweaks (SATA links, I2C, USB, PCI and increasing dirty_writeback) in terms of risk, assuming a UPS/no unexpected power loss?

4 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

There has to be some cost to this, no?

No, because by default Linux does not switch off unused pcie, usb, sata, iGPU, etc. This script sets only all devices from (permanently) ON to AUTO (reduce energy consumption / switch off, if not used). This is different compared to Windows or Apple where energy saving is the default.

Source:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/driver-api/pm/devices.html#sys-devices-power-control-files

"The setting can be adjusted by user space by writing either “on” or “auto” to the device’s power/control sysfs file. Writing “auto” calls pm_runtime_allow(), setting the flag and allowing the device to be runtime power-managed by its driver. Writing “on” calls pm_runtime_forbid(), clearing the flag, returning the device to full power if it was in a low-power state, and preventing the device from being runtime power-managed. User space can check the current value of the runtime_auto flag by reading that file."

This has nothing to do with underclocking currently used devices. It only reduces power of a device that is not used (which is controlled by its driver). This is the same as CPU C-States. 

Edited by mgutt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, CS01-HS said:

dirty_writeback) in terms of risk, assuming a UPS/no unexpected power loss?

dirty_writeback is the only risky setting, but it's not raised by powertop, it's reduced. The default is 30 seconds. Powertop sets it to 15 seconds. This means Linux starts 15 seconds earlier to empty the RAM to disk. This can save energy as all devices can reach the sleep state 15 seconds earlier.

Note: A UPS is absolutely recommend or all data of the last 15 seconds will be lost. Unraid default: Even 30 seconds.

Example: You move important data to your server (so it's "deleted" from your client). If now a power outage occurs in the 30 seconds since the first file was uploaded, everything is lost.

I think this point needs more attention through Limetech. vm.dirty_ratio should be reduced to 1% and vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs should be reduced to 0.5 seconds (disabling has a huge negative impact on performance) if no UPS is connected.

I raised my dirty_ratio to 50% and left the 30 seconds because I'm using a UPS and it allows to upload a huge amount of files even to HDDs with maximum 10G speeds (as it's written to RAM and emptying the RAM happens later)

Edited by mgutt
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mgutt said:

No, because by default Linux does not switch off unused pcie, usb, sata, iGPU, etc. This script sets only all devices from (permanently) ON to AUTO (reduce energy consumption / switch off, if not used). This is different compared to Windows or Apple where energy saving is the default.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought I was in the undervolting power save thread.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw a few of these hard resetting link errors during my mover run. Thankfully (?) no CRC errors reported. ata3 is a spinning disk attached to an integrated ASM1062 controller.

I wonder if it might be related to the power-saving tweaks because nothing else changed. For now I've disabled them and will see if they reappear. Maybe coincidence but I'm posting in case others have the same issue.

Nov  3 23:17:30 NAS move: move: file /mnt/cache/Download/movie_1.mp4
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x80 SErr 0x4050002 action 0x6 frozen
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: SError: { RecovComm PHYRdyChg CommWake DevExch }
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: cmd 61/00:38:58:44:51/04:00:2c:02:00/40 tag 7 ncq dma 524288 out
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel:         res 40/00:30:58:40:51/00:00:2c:02:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: status: { DRDY }
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: hard resetting link
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS move: move: file /mnt/cache/Download/movie_1.mp4
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: EH complete
Nov  3 23:17:35 NAS move: move: file /mnt/cache/Download/movie_2.mp4

Edited by CS01-HS

Just tested powertop and undervolt. Great tools !

My configuration is describe in my signature (and in this post : 

With 

undervolt --gpu -75 --core -100 --cache -100 --uncore -100 --analogio -100

and your startup script to enable autosleep mode on devices, I see some results but not that much.

First, 15mn after reboot, my server uses 28-30W. Before modification, it was 29-31W.

But now, my powermeter seems a bit "crazy" because the power usage varies lot more than before. It is even difficult to read a number !! it changes so quickly.

Be careful, my "idle" status is maybe not yours. My server never sleeps. I always have my seedbox running (torrent) + nextcloud + vpn and a dozen of users behind (my family phones + laptop, etc...). They do not consumes that much of server load, but they prevent disks to enter in sleep mode. For example I hardly see more than 2 data disks in sleep mode, often I can see one, and most of the time none are asleep.

Under load, (recording a live TV + watching 1 movie with HW transcoding), my server uses 39-42W. Before modifications, it was around 42-44W.

With no HW trancoding, up to 50W.

I already did some test with spin down, and even If I stop the array, power usage is around 25-27W. So with your modifications I am maybe around 24-26W now...

Most of power optimizations is not on disks (I have 8x2.5 disks). 

Maybe I missed something, but powertop does not show me watt usage per device. I would like to really estimate the power usage per device, for example the my LSI HBA controler and my TBS DVB-T tuner.

Edited by tapodufeu

Bingo.... just to be sure I restarted my server and checked the BIOS. Gigabyte Platform Power Management was disable !!

I have also disable the embed audio controler of the motherboard.

So now, just a couple of minutes after reboot, I am around 25-28W. 

If I spin down all disk, 24-25W.

I have already tested in my previous post results of undervolting my CPU under load.

powertop can't show you the power usage of devices (as far as I know). The best method to check the energy consumption is to stop the array so dockers / vms are stopped as well and spindown each HDD with this command:

mdcmd spindown 0
mdcmd spindown 1
mdcmd spindown 2
mdcmd spindown 3
mdcmd spindown 4

And if you want to know how much the DVB-T card consumes, you need to restart the server without it (and disabled array auto start). Thats how I measured my 10G card. Regarding the LSI card it would be a little bit more complicate. I would connect one HDD to it and then restart the server with the HDD connected to an onboard port, so you get the difference.

Do you use all PCIe slots? That could be the reason why powertop has not a huge impact as your SATA and TV cards are permanently in use.

Yes, all are on PCIe slots... and I was investigating just a couple of minutes ago and I found:

01:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon]
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+

04:00.0 Multimedia controller: TBS Technologies DVB Tuner PCIe Card
        Subsystem: Device 6281:0002
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+

05:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Toshiba Corporation Device 011a (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
        Subsystem: Toshiba Corporation Device 0001
                LnkCtl: ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+

ASPM is only enable for my nvme drive on pcie.

Any idea ?

in dmesg I found the following lines:

[    0.151347] ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it

[   19.362570] r8169 0000:02:00.0: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control

[   19.385178] mpt3sas 0000:01:00.0: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control

r8169 is the network card, and I am happy ASPM is disabled for it.

mpt3sas is related to the LSI HBA.

I see some posts about linux kernel and ASPM issues with PCIe... still investigating

About power usage of HBA controler, I found this post listing many LSI cards

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-host-bus-adapter-hba-power-consumption-comparison/

For the TBS 6281 SE, when not used, it is difficult to say, maybe 1 or 2 watt. My wattmeter is not accurate enough. I don't really see any change with or without.

When recording + transcoding with plex (hw transcode), it consumes approx 10W. Recording without transcoding failed, I was not able to see the file even with VLC. First time I tried so maybe I used wrong settings...

Posts on internet reports up to 25W for the TBS DVB-T card, I was not able to reproduce at all this consumption. I tested on the french DVB-T on the channel France 5.

Edited by tapodufeu
add lsi power usage listing and tbs test
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello @mgutt,

Nice work with this power consumption tweaking guide !

I use this script from many years on my nas (OMV then Unraid), without any problem. (6 sata HDD with spindown + 2 sata SSD, DVB-t tuner)

It's basically setting pci/sata power management to auto.

I'll try your undervolting guide as soon as I have free time. ^^

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, teqqyde said:

Hey,

i just want to start to optimize my new installed unraid server, but i cannot find the powertop command. Is it not installed anymore on 6.8.3?

Allready try to find it with "find / -name "powertop"" but, nothing. 

Do i have to install it manually?

You have to install "nerdpack" from the Apps first. After install is done you run Nerdpack, and within you find Powertop

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2020 at 1:30 PM, CS01-HS said:

I saw a few of these hard resetting link errors during my mover run. Thankfully (?) no CRC errors reported. ata3 is a spinning disk attached to an integrated ASM1062 controller.

I wonder if it might be related to the power-saving tweaks because nothing else changed. For now I've disabled them and will see if they reappear. Maybe coincidence but I'm posting in case others have the same issue.

Nov  3 23:17:30 NAS move: move: file /mnt/cache/Download/movie_1.mp4
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x80 SErr 0x4050002 action 0x6 frozen
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: SError: { RecovComm PHYRdyChg CommWake DevExch }
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: cmd 61/00:38:58:44:51/04:00:2c:02:00/40 tag 7 ncq dma 524288 out
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel:         res 40/00:30:58:40:51/00:00:2c:02:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: status: { DRDY }
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: hard resetting link
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS move: move: file /mnt/cache/Download/movie_1.mp4
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
Nov  3 23:17:33 NAS kernel: ata3: EH complete
Nov  3 23:17:35 NAS move: move: file /mnt/cache/Download/movie_2.mp4

Due to the error above I've run my integrated ASM1062 controller with /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy set to max_performance (the default) vs --auto-tune's med_power_with_dipm

After updating to 6.10.0-rc1 a few days ago I tried powertop's med_power_with_dipm again and so far the error hasn't reappeared. Whatever incompatibility appears to be solved.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Under heavy load I saw hard resets again and the (Seagate) drive's Command timeout entry increased by two.

Edited by CS01-HS
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
~# powertop --auto-tune
modprobe cpufreq_stats failedLoaded 0 prior measurements
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL device for cpu 0
Devfreq not enabled
glob returned GLOB_ABORTED
 the port is sda
 the port is sdb
 the port is sdc
 the port is sdd
 the port is sde
 the port is sdf
 the port is sdg
 the port is sdh
 the port is sdi
 the port is sdj
 the port is sdk
 the port is sdl
 the port is sdm
 the port is sdn
 the port is sdo
Leaving PowerTOP

OK, I'm new to this. What do those failed and aborted mentions mean? I suppose I need to take my old monitor to the crawlspace and change BIOS settings for this machine, no?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 8:31 PM, fluisterben said:
~# powertop --auto-tune
modprobe cpufreq_stats failedLoaded 0 prior measurements
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL device for cpu 0
Devfreq not enabled
glob returned GLOB_ABORTED
 the port is sda
 the port is sdb
 the port is sdc
 the port is sdd
 the port is sde
 the port is sdf
 the port is sdg
 the port is sdh
 the port is sdi
 the port is sdj
 the port is sdk
 the port is sdl
 the port is sdm
 the port is sdn
 the port is sdo
Leaving PowerTOP

OK, I'm new to this. What do those failed and aborted mentions mean? I suppose I need to take my old monitor to the crawlspace and change BIOS settings for this machine, no?

Also exactly the same here. C states are set to Auto in my BIOS

Added a new setting for the Go file to my first post as follows:

# enable IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)
for i in /sys/class/net/eth?; do dev=$(basename $i); [[ $(echo $(ethtool --show-eee $dev 2> /dev/null) | grep -c "Supported EEE link modes: 1") -eq 1 ]] && ethtool --set-eee $dev eee on; done

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 11:21 PM, mgutt said:

Added a new setting for the Go file to my first post as follows:

# enable IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)

Apparently this messes up 802.3ad / LACP bond mode 4, when you have that in use. I have 2 NICs on my unraid server that I have bonded to link aggregate.

• Thanks 1