Reduce power consumption with powertop

2 hours ago, FlowDE said:

Start from scratch. Zero VMs or Docker, No Storage and disconnect all Network-Cables just a Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard and check the C-State. Then look if you can disable something like bluetooth and wifi or led stuff. 

Thanks, yea probably the best option at this point. A job for next week.

I've just got a new motherboard. Changed all the settings in the bios power settings. Aspm is enabled (also says this is OS controlled ASPM), C state settings enabled, and disabled what I'm not using in the bios, powertop has been run and is all on good. It is idling at 20watts but C2-C10 on the pkg(hw) is 0.

Double checked they are enabled in the bios, but it seems C states for the pkg is not working?

C246 board/Xeon E-2174G/2x ECC/EVGA 650GM/USB stick/1 fan.

Edit: 4x 2.5" SSDs and 2x 2.5" HDs and its up to 64Watts with the array not running.

Edit 2: NVME added via PCIE adaptor, no change.

Edit 3: Added: 15 3.5" drives, an SF750 to run them, LSI HBA, SAS expander, 3 fans - 204watts.

Most drives spun down - 106 watts.

Edit 4: 10Gb intel X540 added, onboard ethernet disabled. About 116 watts but one drive won't and 3 SSDs won't spin down.

Now seen it go as low as 78 watts with 1 drive and 3 SSDs still running.

Still no C states though.

Screenshots added below.
image.thumb.png.bb52faa1dbf6108a2aa0ade514ac28f2.pngimage.thumb.png.b46fbb3aab4544ab23b611b5c6a8cf77.png

Edited by Napoleon

I've gone back to the first config above. Nothing connected but changed the PSU for an HDPLEX 250W passive GaN AIO ATX Power Supply.

C246 board/Xeon E-2174G/2x ECC/USB stick/1 fan.

Idles at around 11 watts now, but still 0% on all C states.

But it seems to now be giving me 2 lots of 5 beeps at boot. CMOS Reset seemed to fix this one. Unsure which setting gave that beeping error.

C states still aren't working with different pentium CPU, PSU or non ECC ram.
image.thumb.png.2f3dc59669acc3cdd71aecc1f150b75b.png

Edited by Napoleon