WiFi 6e

Trozmagon

It's not so much a rule as a support nightmare.

If there emerges a popular adapter with consistent linux support from the manufacturer submitting working drivers for the current kernel, then yes, it's quite possible for that specific adapter to be supported.

The current issues with realtek wired adapters are bad enough, trying to support wifi generally just isn't going to happen, AFAIK. It's only just recently that some specific USB wired adapters could be used.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Trozmagon said:

I didn't realise there are support issues with WiFi on linux. I've never had any issues with debian based distros and my Intel AC 9560 of which I have 2, 1 in my work laptop and 1 in my unraid server passed through to a VM.

Unraid is a cut down version of slackware, specifically stripped of everything that's not needed, because it loads into and runs entirely in RAM. We don't have the luxury of just slapping every single driver and support package into it, you would end up with a minimum 16GB or 32GB RAM spec.

Before VM and docker container support was added, you could have all the NAS functionality with 1GB of RAM. Now, 4GB is the practical bare minimum for NAS, even if you don't use VM's and containers, and 8GB is still cramped.

Adding support for a single adapter that works well in slackware, providing the manufacturer keeps up with linux kernel development shouldn't be an issue. That way we can tell people if you want wifi, here is a list of cards using that driver that are supported. It's the blanket statement of "lets support wifi" that doesn't work. BTW, even if we do get that golden ticket wifi chip support from the manufacturer and Unraid supports it perfectly, the forums will still be bombarded with performance issues because either their router sucks or their machine isn't in the zone of decent coverage, or their neighbours cause interference at certain times of day, etc.

Bottom line, wifi on a server just isn't ready for primetime yet. Desktop daily drivers, fine. 24/7/365 servers with constant activity from friends and family, no. It's much easier support wise to require wired.

If the application truly has to have wireless, there are plenty of ways to bridge a wireless signal and convert it to wired. A pair of commercial wifi access points with a dedicated backhaul channel works fine, that's what I use in a couple locations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1