Help! Can no longer access unRAID server from one of my PCs

ScoHo

So all of a sudden I can't access my server from one of my Windows 10 desktop PCs. I can access it fine from all of my other devices (including Windows 10). Only thing I can think of that is different from the other devices is that the one that doesn't work is a wired connection, all others are WiFi. When I try to access the server, it prompts for username & password (which never happened before outside of the initial connection). So I enter the username & password and get a message that says, "\\FILESERVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

I have tried rebooting both the unRAID server and the Windows machine with no success. I also looked at the thread on this forum about Windows connection issues and tried those suggestions. Obviously it is an issue with my Windows desktop but I have no idea what could have changed. Thought maybe it was due to a Windows Update but I looked at my other Windows machines and they all have the same updates. It worked one day and then all of a sudden didn't work. I also tried a "net use * /delete".

I've attached my server diagnostics, but again I think it is something with my Windows 10 machine.

fileserver-diagnostics-20201021-1600.zip

So an update after I posted this. I was actually able to connect to the server on that machine by going to the IP address instead of the server name, but only after I created a new user account and connected through that. I still couldn't connect via IP with my original 'root' user account.

Read the 5th paragraph in this post:

You might want to read the balance of the thread if you want a really good discussion of some of the "gotcha's" in SMB.  Using the IP address to gain access to the server is a workaround to establish a second connection that usually works.

Edited by Frank1940
19 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Read the 5th paragraph in this post:

You might want to read the balance of the thread if you want a really good discussion of some of the "gotcha's" in SMB.  Using the IP address to gain access to the server is a workaround to establish a second connection that usually works.

Thanks, I did read that thread. I'm still baffled as to why it worked for 10 plus years and all of a sudden it stopped working?

1 hour ago, ScoHo said:

Thanks, I did read that thread. I'm still baffled as to why it worked for 10 plus years and all of a sudden it stopped working?

The problem is usually on the Windows end of the equation.   Remember that Windows often will update itself and 'break' something.  Many times folks are not even aware that the update has happened. Plus, you will want to check to see that you don't have a Windows Credential that will automatically log you onto the server.  ( Enter credential manager into the search box on the Taskbar.)