To those that run minio

maxse

Need some help folks pleaseee. 

I am trying to back up a synology using hyperbackup to the minio instance running on unraid, but it keeps erroring out.

I did a bunch of research and it turn out that I need to switch minio to use something called vhosts instead of a path type of bucket creation? I am able to connect but hyperbackup on synology error out when it's time for it to create a bucket and folder...

I can't seen to be able to even open the .json file, and haven't found any clear cut instructions or even in the manual for minio on what adjustments I need to make. I was able to find users on reddit that got it to work by switching minio to vhsots instead of the default path name directory (whatever that means). I'm a newb at this so really don't know what I'm for this and I can't seem to find much on minio here. Minio has been working well for me as a cloudberry target up to this point. Would really appreciate your help folks

I want to preface this answer by saying that I had not even heard of vhost bucket creation until I read this question. A quick search online led me to this page https://docs.min.io/docs/minio-server-configuration-guide.html search for virtual-host-style to find the section on what you are looking for. It sounds like it can be enabled by setting the MINIO_DOMAIN environmental variable within the container, which can be done by adding the environmental variable to the Docker Template. That is the easy part, unfortunately if i understand the guide correctly vhost style means your application accesses minio via a domain name where the bucket id is a subdomain. To get this to work you probably also need a reverse proxy setup and an internet facing domain name rather than accessing minio via your server ip address. Thought you might be able to get away with some host file trickery on the synology similar to this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19016553/add-subdomain-to-localhost-url

Thank you so much! That's what I need help with, how do I add an environmental variable in the unraid docker template and what to put there? I already have it set up using a reverese proxy with letsencrypt using duckdns like in spaceinvaderone's guide. The server could be accessed right now by going to xyz.duckdns.org, where xyz it the subdomain on duckdns. Are you saying I would have to change that to nameofbucket.duckdns.org? If so, I have no problem doing that. thank you so much @primeval_god

To add a variable to a the docker page, and edit the container. At the bottom of the template page will be an option to "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" select that. Make sure to select Variable from the drop down. Without my server in from of me I dont remember exactly how the fields are named but for the "Key" field you put the variable name MINIO_DOMAIN. If i understand the document that i linked above the Value will be the base domain of your server so probably xyz.duckdns.org. 

18 minutes ago, maxse said:

The server could be accessed right now by going to xyz.duckdns.org, where xyz it the subdomain on duckdns.

I assume what you mean here is that navigating to xyz.duckdns.org will take you to the Minio container's login page. The following is based on that assumption. If instead you meant that generically your server can be accessed at that url and minio specifically is accessed via a path or subdomain of that url then things would be slightly different.

So far as the sub domains go I believe that you will use a sub domain on top of your current name to access the bucket. So if your server is currently accessible at xyz.duckdns.org then your bucket would be at nameofbucket.xyz.duckdns.org It may be that your reverse proxy will need to be configured to forward each bucket subdomain on to the minio server, though it may be possible to forward all subdomains of xyz.duckdns.org to minio. 

Thanks so much, seems complex, I'll just get a cheaper synology box and call it a day...

One last question. I do have a separate set up with rclone backing up to a remote minio. The rclone is a crypt remote...

My question is, do I need to back up any minio settings or adatabase of some sort? So let's say in the even that minio crashes for some reason. That rclone encrypted data will still be on the user share... So I have to install the minio docker all over again, how will it pick up the bucket names and the files that already exist? I'm just planing for a disaster scenario for recovery purposes here...

What would I do in that case if minio has to be re-installed itself, while the files all encrypted by rclone, remain on the user share... How would those be imported into minio again with the correct bucket, etc... so that rclone will successfully read those files again?

On 10/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, maxse said:

Thanks so much, seems complex, I'll just get a cheaper synology box and call it a day...

Honestly i think you would find that it seems a lot more complex than it actually is. I am not certain exactly what the setup for your reverse proxy would but i believe that handling multiple tiers of subdomains in letsencrypt and duckdns is fairly easy to do.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, maxse said:

One last question. I do have a separate set up with rclone backing up to a remote minio. The rclone is a crypt remote...

My question is, do I need to back up any minio settings or adatabase of some sort? So let's say in the even that minio crashes for some reason. That rclone encrypted data will still be on the user share... So I have to install the minio docker all over again, how will it pick up the bucket names and the files that already exist? I'm just planing for a disaster scenario for recovery purposes here...

What would I do in that case if minio has to be re-installed itself, while the files all encrypted by rclone, remain on the user share... How would those be imported into minio again with the correct bucket, etc... so that rclone will successfully read those files again?

I believe you would want to backup the minio appdata folder and likely its docker template as well.