I'm interested in the UNRAID and have some questions about it.

SUN

I am from China, my English is not good. The first question is when will Chinese be added to the UNRAID? Second, I can't find the UNRAID operating system hardware compatibility list, where can I find it? Third, is the UNRAID compatible with AMD APU? Fourth, can UNRAID use an Optane SSD (900P) as a cache disk? Fifth, what types of 10GbE cards can be used in UNRAID? 

Thanks!

我对UNRAID系统非常感兴趣,我有几个问题想咨询一下

我来自中国,我的英语水平比较差,有几个问题需要咨询。第一个问题是UNRAID系统什么加入对中文的支持?在我们国家有很多朋友对UNRAID系统感兴趣,如果没有中文,他们最终会放弃这个操作系统。对你们的销售人员来说,这可能是一个非常严重的问题。第二个问题,可能是没有中文官方网站的原因吧,我没有找到UNRAID的兼容性列表。第三个问题,我需要一台NAS+VM,我想使用AMD的APU。GCN架构的GPU是否在UNRAID下可以得到完美的支持?第四个问题,关于缓存盘兼容性的问题。我知道想要提高文件传输速度加入缓存盘。普通的TLC固态硬盘写入寿命十分有限,我想用傲腾900P作为缓存盘。有关傲腾900P兼容性的问题我咨询过英特尔,也询问过华硕、微星等主办厂商,都没有得到明确的答复。第五个问题,UNRAID系统能否使用万兆网卡?可以使用哪些型号的万兆网卡?

感谢解答!

Hello and welcome. I cannot answer all your questions but at least some.

1. The multi-language version are available since version 6.9, actually in beta. Chinese is among the languages I think. For more details, you can check the Chinese sub-forum : https://forums.unraid.net/forum/88-chinese-简体中文/
  2. Not sure there is such a think up to date.
  3. Not sure :/ 
  4. I think I saw people using it on the forums, they could confirm
  5. Intel NICs are generally recommended but other suppliers work for some people, it really depends on the availability of a Linux driver.
Edited by ChatNoir

2) With the rate at which hardware changes it would be impossible to keep such a list up-to-date.   This is one of the main reasons why Unraid has a trial license (valid for 30 days and extendible for an additional 30 days) so that you can check it runs on the hardware you want to use.

Note that if you have very new hardware then you probably need to use the 6.9.0 beta release as it has a much newer Linux kernel and newer drivers than the current stable 6.8.3 release.

12 hours ago, itimpi said:

2) With the rate at which hardware changes it would be impossible to keep such a list up-to-date.   This is one of the main reasons why Unraid has a trial license (valid for 30 days and extendible for an additional 30 days) so that you can check it runs on the hardware you want to use.

Note that if you have very new hardware then you probably need to use the 6.9.0 beta release as it has a much newer Linux kernel and newer drivers than the current stable 6.8.3 release.

Without this list, I can't be sure that the hardware I want to buy will work properly. This is disconcerting.

15 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Hello and welcome. I cannot answer all your questions but at least some.

1. The multi-language version are available since version 6.9, actually in beta. Chinese is among the languages I think. For more details, you can check the Chinese sub-forum : https://forums.unraid.net/forum/88-chinese-简体中文/
  2. Not sure there is such a think up to date.
  3. Not sure :/ 
  4. I think I saw people using it on the forums, they could confirm
  5. Intel NICs are generally recommended but other suppliers work for some people, it really depends on the availability of a Linux driver.

Thank you!

It's great that there's a Chinese version.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

The best approach is to post what hardware you are considering and see if anyone knows of any problems with that.

Motherboard:B460 ITX

CPU:I3 10100T

Memory:DDR4 8G*2

Disk:WD blue SSD 4T*6

NIC:Intel X540

Others:M.2 to SATA 3.0 *2

Motherboard:B460 ITX

CPU:I3 10100T

Seagate ST8000VN004 8T*4 & Optane 900P 480G

Others:M.2 to U.2

Motherboard:B450 ITX

CPU:R3 2400GE

Seagate ST8000VN004 8T*4 & Optane 900P 480G

Others:M.2 to U.2

3 hours ago, SUN said:

Without this list, I can't be sure that the hardware I want to buy will work properly. This is disconcerting.

In practise most commodity hardware works fine unless it is niche in some way.    The one ‘gotcha’ can be when you have hardware that has only recently been released for which there may not be the relevant Linux drivers already included in Unraid as it is not easy/practical to add them yourself for the average user.    Limetech are very good about adding drivers to new releases once the manufacturer releases them for Linux but this takes time.

A good example of this is the relatively recent situation of 2.5Gb NICs becoming commonplace on new motherboards. Support for these is not in the current 6.8.3 stable release but has been added to the 6.9.0 release (currently in beta).

As was mentioned the best thing to do is post the details of what you are thinking of using as there is an excellent chance an existing Unraid user having experience of the hardware and can give feedback.    If not direct experience they may be able to direct you to relevant forum posts.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

In practise most commodity hardware works fine unless it is niche in some way.    The one ‘gotcha’ can be when you have hardware that has only recently been released for which there may not be the relevant Linux drivers already included in Unraid as it is not easy/practical to add them yourself for the average user.    Limetech are very good about adding drivers to new releases once the manufacturer releases them for Linux but this takes time.

A good example of this is the relatively recent situation of 2.5Gb NICs becoming commonplace on new motherboards. Support for these is not in the current 6.8.3 stable release but has been added to the 6.9.0 release (currently in beta).

As was mentioned the best thing to do is post the details of what you are thinking of using as there is an excellent chance an existing Unraid user having experience of the hardware and can give feedback.    If not direct experience they may be able to direct you to relevant forum posts.

What about 10G NIC?