How work around massive cache writes on 6.8.3

Can please somebody point me to a documentation how to avoid massive writes on NVMe M.2 Cache SSDs running on Unraid 6.8.3?

After reading the 6.9 Beta notes I checked my cache disks and they are heavily involved. Two 1 TB disks in a BTRFS cache pool show 21 TB of writes in 4 months while holding around 250 GB. Models in use are "Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB".

-	Available spare	100%
-	Available spare threshold	10%
-	Percentage used	0%
-	Data units read	924,128 [473 GB]
-	Data units written	42,803,014 [21.9 TB]
-	Host read commands	12,644,896
-	Host write commands	505,220,723
-	Controller busy time	324
-	Power cycles	2
-	Power on hours	190 (7d, 22h)

Needless to say that I want to avoid looong outages.

Many thanks in advance.

Does this only pertain BTRFS ?

My M2 cache drive (XFS) has written 233TB and read 500TB in 1.7 years... Also seems like a lot for a 1TB drive... If I calculate correctly the whole 1TB drive is written totally every 3 days... And it mostly always more then half full ..

Edited by Helmonder
30 minutes ago, Helmonder said:

Does this only pertain BTRFS ?

Don't know.

I just read the 6.9 beta notes. In one of the past beta releases a complete handling has been introduced to move data off these disks, reformat them and move the data back.

Beta releases are no option here, so I'm looking for a way to do something similar on stable 6.8.3.

***EDIT*** Your values look as if you are using the cache disk as a cache disk ;-) 500 TB read, 233 TB written look reasonable. I use the cache pool as docker/VM store only. My values are 473 GB read, 22 TB written. This is definitely not reasonable.

Edited by hawihoney

i had that problem too. I had 2 ssd western blue 500Gb in a btrfs pool that died in 6months.

I replaced them with a single 860 evo formatted in xfs (no pool possible with xfs in unraid).

I upgraded to 6.9. beta 30 and tried again a btrfs pool with 2 brand new western blue 500Gb. And i had the same problem.

So i'm back to xfs except that in 6.9 you can create several pools. I now have 2 xfs pool of signle ssd and no more problem. 

The downside is that you better have a strong backup as pools are unprotected. 

Now i only have to wait to see if and how zfs will be implemented. 

1 minute ago, caplam said:

i had that problem too. I had 2 ssd western blue 500Gb in a btrfs pool that died in 6months.

I replaced them with a single 860 evo formatted in xfs (no pool possible with xfs in unraid).

I upgraded to 6.9. beta 30 and tried again a btrfs pool with 2 brand new western blue 500Gb. And i had the same problem.

So i'm back to xfs except that in 6.9 you can create several pools. I now have 2 xfs pool of signle ssd and no more problem. 

The downside is that you better have a strong backup as pools are unprotected. 

Now i only have to wait to see if and how zfs will be implemented. 

I run a daily backup with the plugin for docker backup.. actually works fine.. for the rest I use the cache for -cache- and that does not mean I care a lot if I loose something.. 

I think the cache pools are most valuable for situation where they are not really used for cache... But for "fast storage"..

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

You can remount the pool with space_cache=v2, it should reduce writes by a lot, but to take advantage of all the mitigations you'd need to update to 6.9

Can you please elaborate a little. A small Google search shows this as a BTRFS thing. Reading the 6.9 announcements shows that this is a Samsung, etc./Unraid incompatibility when using different sector alignments (that's what I understand).

New alignment will also help, but that needs v6.9*, these were my results:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/683-docker-image-huge-amount-of-unnecessary-writes-on-cache-r733/?do=findComment&comment=10142

* I found out recently that pools (and only pools) with the new alignment still mount correctly in previous versions, but it's unsupported, i.e., use at own risk.