IP Reservation via DHCP

kennelm

I got a new Eero mesh router and I later noticed that my OpenVPN docker container was not responding.  Turns out, I forgot to port-forward, so I hop on the router and find the right spot to do that.  After several tries, I realized that this stupid router will not forward a port without first setting up an IP reservation (but I don't need that since I have unraid set to a static IP locally).  So I try and try and realize this will not work on a device already set to a static IP. 

My question is...before I stop all my VMs and Docker containers and make the network change to DHCP, will unraid (more specifically, my VMs and containers) be happy with a "static" IP handed out via DHCP IP reservation?  Just confirming before I shut 'er down and try.

Larry

Edited by kennelm
typo

Remember that your 'static' IP address is being provided by normal DHCP process as far as Unraid is concerned.  I am assuming that your router is using the MAC address of the server NIC and assigning it the reserved/static IP address via DHCP. 

About doing it.  If you are concerned at all, than make a backup of the boot/flash drive before you start.  You can do this from the Main tab, Clicking on "Flash"  under 'Boot Drive', then on the 'Flash Device Settings' tab, click on the "FLASH BACKUP" button.