best practice for a LAMP environment

MJFox

Hi!

I'm fairly new to the unraid community, I built my first unraid machine and purchased a license just about two weeks ago. Since then I'm wondering what's the best practice to set up a LAMP enviroment with Unraid.

My first guess was to set up an Ubuntu VM and install apache, php and mysql. This worked well but I'm struggeling to find a good way to set up the webserver root (htdocs-directory). What I would like to to is to use a Unraid share inside the VM so I don't have to set up and manage another samba configuration inside the VM. First I tried to set up a mount tag and mount a 9p file system inside the VM. By raising the msize in the fstab mount I'm getting a reasonable performance (it was quite bad with the default msize). But I noticed that Apache doesn't update a file until I read the file inside the VM over the console (e.g. with the midnight commander editor). Until that Apache always seems to get a cached version of the file. I found two apache settings:

EnableSendfile Off

EnableMMAP Off

After adding this into apache.conf I need to reload twice to get the latest version of a file. So still not perfect.

I tried to mount the htdocs-directory over smb but I just got very weird results (Apache offering random files for download instead of serving them, files appearing and dissapearing randomly for Apache etc.).

I finally set up another samba service inside the VM, but I don't like to manage two different samba configurations, creating another backup etc.

What's your solution for your LAMP environment?

Cheers

MJFox

• 3 months later...

Hey man, I recently added a debian VM and intalled a LAMP stack. There's a way to add a Unraid share that you mount in Debian.

I have a "Webhosting" folder in unraid that goes to my webservers www, kinda.

See this thread, it helped me:

However, i'm kinda looking at the apache/php container and the mariadb. I have them installed but havent paried them together. Havent had time to look into it.

Hope it helps