WD My Book - Shucked Case Re-Use

In my vain attempt to be at least partly green, I thought it would be a worthy endeavour to put an old disk back in the case and give them to my kids for their own PC's.

That plan was sunk pretty quickly.

Long story short...... The old/new disks work fine when coupled directly to my W10 pc. They dont work at all when attached to the USB/Power daughter board and plugged in to a USB port.

Windows reports fatal I/O errors........... The disk is seen in Disk Management, but not able to do anything with it. FDisk through Command Prompt, no different.

Device Manager lists the WD My Book under "Disk drives" as working normally..... but it obviously isn't......

It has been suggested elsewhere that it's some kind of encryption firmware on the daughterboard that's looking for the WD disk and nothing else will do.

That sounds logical enough..... But not wanting to give up without a fight...... 

Has anyone got any experience of this? Is it possible to write something on a disk that would fool the daughterboard into thinking it's looking at a WD disk?

Perhaps that exact disk is matched to the case at the point of production?

I really don't want to bin the cases and power supplies!

TIA

Paul

Edited by pm1961
spelling
39 minutes ago, pm1961 said:

Yep, used the original PS.  Also, shucked two cases.... same result with both......

Yet again, take the drives out..... put them back in the pc............ no problem.............

The Mybook uses drive encryption so you can't put any old drive in it. 

I have multiple WD elements and WD Mybook boards, the elements can use any disks, the Mybook only seem compatible with the drives it arrived with.

It's a hardware limitation.

You can try this

Edited by Decto
  • Thanks 1