2TB Disk Image in Domains Folder?

Nealon

Hello,

I use unraid primarily to host my Plex server.  I set it up a couple years ago now and it's been mostly on auto pilot, with me downloading media files on a VM (the only one I have listed on the VM's tab currently), and plex runs as the linuxserver docker container.  Works great.

Recently I've started running low on storage space (if you have any hot tips for getting cheap server rack cases, I managed to get a rack for free and am now watching ebay/craigslist hoping to find a good deal on a case with at least 15+ hot swappable drive slots), so I've been digging through looking where I can free up file space, and I discovered a 2TB "vdisk1.img" file under "/storage/domains/Plex".  This file doesn't show having been modified since 2018 (shortly after I set up the server), so I'm guessing that at one point I considered running plex on a VM, and later removed it, and this file has been sticking around ever since.

The fact that it's 2TB is a little concerning to me though, because the one I use regularly for downloading only has 70GB, but that's also the size of the allocation I have for that VM... so maybe this all makes perfect sense.

Long story short, I renamed that file last night to make sure it wouldn't break anything before deleting it, and plex still seems completely fine this morning... I'm safe to delete this file, right?  Just want to make sure I'm not doing something really dumb here that will cause SERIOUS issues once I delete it and can't get it back.

Thank you very much!  And sorry for the stupid questions.

Edited by Nealon
8 minutes ago, trurl said:

That seems an unlikely path for Unraid. Do you mean it is on a user share named "storage"?

Uhhh, I don't think so?  I pulled that path from the QDirStat container I have to check on file sizes:IYxNjW6.png

If I SCP directly into the server, the path of the file is "/mnt/user/domains/Plex", so its in the default "domains" share, which appears to be where the VM files are stored.

That docker has mapped the user shares to /storage. That path only makes sense inside that one container so isn't really a generally useful way to discuss things or even think about them.

2 hours ago, Nealon said:

the path of the file is "/mnt/user/domains/Plex", so its in the default "domains" share

This is what makes sense more generally.

If you don't have anything configured to that path then I guess you don't need it.