ASMedia 1061 PCI-E 8 ports controller

Hi everyone,

i tried to install this controller: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07L4R5DQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chipset ASMedia 1061 - 8 ports Sata III - PCI-E 4X

everything works fine with no errors but..... HDD are viewed like this:

4TB WD Red - 6Gb/s - all OK

8TB IronWolf - 6Gb/s - all OK

8TB WD White Label ( shucked )  - 3Gb/s ( !!!!! ) 

I don't understand why these latest discs set them up like this. I tried to connect them to the motherboard SATA 3 ports and to another controller and obviously they are recognized correctly at 6Gb / s

Is there anything else i need to check or set? I do not understand why!

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Thanx in advance!

Zippi

Edited by Zippi

I wouldn't recommend that controller. It is a native 2 sata port PCI-E x1  controler with port multipliers.

A PCI-E x1 card only has enough bandwidth for 2 modern HDD so it will quickly become a bottle neck and you are likely to get drive errors, drives ejected from the array etc.

3Gbs is way faster than any conventional HDD. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Decto said:

It is a native 2 sata port PCI-E x1  controler with port multipliers.

Might not be, according to the description it has 4 Asmedia chips, and that would explain being x4, each Asmedia controller would use an x1 link, @Zippiplease post the diagnostics to confirm. 

8 hours ago, Decto said:

3Gbs is way faster than any conventional HDD.

Yep, link speed issue is likely a compatibility problem, but it won't make any difference for current spinning disks.

@Decto and @JorgeB thanx for your quick reply!

Now I'm away from home but when I return I check everything.

In the meantime I put back on the old SYBA SI-PEX40071 - 8ports SATA3 PCI-E 2X that see all the HDD well 6Gb/s

I had tried the ASMedia seeing that it was 4X thinking of improving the speed, I know that however with 8 HDDs connected both 2X and 4X there is the bottleneck but for my needs it was still fine.

From the tests I had done I had not seen substantial differences in speed. I remember however that using DiskSpeed it saw the ASMedia as 1X and it seemed strange to me, while it correctly sees the SYBA as 2X.

I think I'll move on to LSI SAS 9201-16i (LSI00244) HBA, if I read correctly it should work out of the box. 

unRaid 6.8.3

Edited by Zippi