Guide for FTP access?

I've just gotten my first unRAID server up and going. After first doing a good amount of sifting through forum/wiki posts on recommended hardware and array setup/configuration, I'm happy to say everything went perfectly by-the-numbers assembling the chosen hardware and getting everything going, and am very happy with unRAID so far after the first couple days of use. I am having a heck of a time trying to get FTP access to the server to work right, though. It's the only problem I've had through the process of getting it all up and going. I can connect, either as a root account or as another account I've setup, but only see disk1, disk2, users folders. If I try to change into any of those folders, I get:

226 Transfer done (but failed to open directory)

I've done some searching in these forums and the wiki and get a surprisingly small number of results searching for something as simple as the topic of "ftp" (for a NAS platform, I figured it would be have more discussion than a half dozen wiki/forum threads). I did find a thread or two related to this topic, but they go into all sorts of CHMOD things, and they seem to be a bit unclear as to the solutions being a simple/permanent thing, or something that one has to keep doing to added files (which would essentially render it too much of a hassle to even consider using). Is there some idiot's guide to getting the FTP functions of unRAID going properly? I've gotta figure there's some default, simple permission thing that needs to be changed. I haven't done anything exotic to this setup that I would think would break something like FTP access. The server is, aside from a handful of packages added via unMENU, pretty much an out-of-the-box setup. Everything works perfectly via SMB.

I've also noticed the proftp package via unMENU and wonder if it would work better. My goal is go have a limited access account that friends can use to get read only access to only the shares that I wish to give them access to. Don't want them to see disk1, disk2 and such. Just specific shares.

Thanks. Definitely loving unRAID so far, and love the level of knowledge and helpful nature of this user community...

I've just gotten my first unRAID server up and going. After first doing a good amount of sifting through forum/wiki posts on recommended hardware and array setup/configuration, I'm happy to say everything went perfectly by-the-numbers assembling the chosen hardware and getting everything going, and am very happy with unRAID so far after the first couple days of use. I am having a heck of a time trying to get FTP access to the server to work right, though. It's the only problem I've had through the process of getting it all up and going. I can connect, either as a root account or as another account I've setup, but only see disk1, disk2, users folders. If I try to change into any of those folders, I get:

226 Transfer done (but failed to open directory)

I've done some searching in these forums and the wiki and get a surprisingly small number of results searching for something as simple as the topic of "ftp" (for a NAS platform, I figured it would be have more discussion than a half dozen wiki/forum threads). I did find a thread or two related to this topic, but they go into all sorts of CHMOD things, and they seem to be a bit unclear as to the solutions being a simple/permanent thing, or something that one has to keep doing to added files (which would essentially render it too much of a hassle to even consider using). Is there some idiot's guide to getting the FTP functions of unRAID going properly? I've gotta figure there's some default, simple permission thing that needs to be changed. I haven't done anything exotic to this setup that I would think would break something like FTP access. The server is, aside from a handful of packages added via unMENU, pretty much an out-of-the-box setup. Everything works perfectly via SMB.

I've also noticed the proftp package via unMENU and wonder if it would work better. My goal is go have a limited access account that friends can use to get read only access to only the shares that I wish to give them access to. Don't want them to see disk1, disk2 and such. Just specific shares.

Thanks. Definitely loving unRAID so far, and love the level of knowledge and helpful nature of this user community...

I believe you can do that with UnRaid?

Also, this seems like a ftp server issue, what program are you using, or are you running the ftp server on the unraid machine?

To gain visibility of your files within the shares / disks, you can go with this topic:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2138.0

for directories visibility use:

find /mnt/user -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

and for files within a directory use:

find /mnt/user -type f -exec chmod 700 {} \;

mini tutorial:

either login to your tower directly or use putty.exe (free download everywhere) from windows.

in putty just put in the "host name" line: tower (replace this if you changed the default tower name)

click on the telnet radio button below. no need for port change

use "open" to start session

log in with your user account. by default there should be "root" as name and no needed password

lets say there is a user share "documents", that should become visible through ftp:

just put in those lines:

find /mnt/documents -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

find /mnt/documents -type f -exec chmod 700 {} \;

before i set this up, i was only able to navigate through folders without seeing content like files and subfolders.

i am still not sure if you need both lines. i guess one is for the case of subfolders.

the help came from JoeL

maybe he could do a little explaination or some more examples, so everything becomes more clear.

FWIW, I didn't dig into making the vsftp stuff work on the unraid box. It still seems to be a bit more trouble than it's worth to get working, and I'm still a bit unclear if messing with all the CHMOD stuff is going to have to be done again later as more data and shares get added, etc. I also wanted to be able to do FTP via SSL easily. So instead, I just decided to use FileZilla server (freebie) on an existing Windows box internally and point it at the UNC paths of the SMB shares on the unraid box using some alias points as a front end server of sorts. FTP via SSL is a cakewalk to setup on FileZilla, I locked things down to read access at the FTP server point, and used a custom port number on the outside to map through the router firewall. Took very little effort and works like a charm. It's unfortunate that FTP seems to be such a complete afterthought on the unraid platform, but that's OK. Got around the hassle easy enough. Other than that, I'm loving unraid. Been working great and fits my needs perfectly.

It would be very nice to get this problem solved.

I use the FTP server alot, now each time files are uploaded I need to perform the find - chown commands in order to get the files listed.

Maybe it's solved in the latest 5.0 beta, but since it's a beta I would rather not upgrade my unRaid.

• 3 weeks later...