Cache disk - other use?

BobNik

Greetings everyone, 

hope all safe and sound.....

I was using Unraid from very early days and ver 4.71 until couple of weeks ago when I migrated to 6.8.3 and into the new and modern hardware.

No issue with the migration whatsoever. Everything is working fine and I have replaced some old and smaller drives with the new ones. Having one or two 1TB extra drives I s started thinking about the cache disk.

Fully aware of the main purpose of cache disk and not being protected by the array but thinking of using the cache disk to install something else....like twonky, or serviio or other media server with sole purpose of serving my music library (flac). Some would recommend Plex but I dont want to supply them with my email/password and not interested in dockers (for the moment anyway).

Any comments on using the cache disk for media servers or anything else for that matter?

Regards

BobN

Many people use cache disk/pools purely for application purposes and do not bother with the original use of caching writes for files that end up on the array.   

the 6.9.0 release supports multiple cache pools and how each pool is to be used is configured by the user so you have complete flexibility.