SMART green, device disabled. tons of read/write?

i checked out my server last night. i swapped drives around to see if the problem stayed or moved. it appears so far to have moved. i think i found a bad sata connector. i moved one of the SSDs from this bad connector and speeds seems to have doubled or better.

well that might explain yesterdays lack luster performance and weird stats. also not being able to write to it any faster might lso add to that.

HOWEVER, even with the poor performance yesterday and error i noticed my parity check/sync time was HALVED! Pre Clears which should NOT be done on SSDs go much faster than the 6tb HDDs. (a few drives failed pre clear yesterday, i initially chalked up to not being for SSDs until i found bad cable)

that bad cable and my old processors were probably why i had slow speeds this hole time along with having many drives. ALSO i found one of my primary intake fans cooling the drives had up and quite, the fan connector had broken! drives seem to be cooler so far.

maybe could have done experiments without going ALL SSD but, what the hey if i can find a way to do ADDITIONAL back ups might as well guinea pig. I think i'll be making thread somewhere about my unraid adventures.

BEFORE with bad cable and no fan

rQUX7CT.png

AFTER intial pre clear

oXo4FWE.png

AFTER overnight

9i5rJid.png

so far much better than 80 and 90mb speeds ...for the most part, the one drive seems to be zeroing at those speeds

EDIT: i either have a bad drive or another bad cable one of the drive giving me fits last night just failed a pre-read in pre clear :(

Edited by cdoublejj
On 10/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, trurl said:

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread 

Diagnostics contains SMART for all attached drives and many other things that tell a lot more about your situation. Might even give an idea what you mean by "fail".

Hey "Advanced Member", I am guessing by "Constructor", you mean me.

12 minutes ago, cdoublejj said:

as Constructor mentioned in another thread, the fewer the drives the faster.

I don't recall ever saying that. I often advocate for fewer larger disks rather than more smaller disks because each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

Ideally, parity operations happen in parallel. If your hardware can't support accessing all disks simultaneously, it will be slower. Do you have a port multiplier?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Hey "Advanced Member", I am guessing by "Constructor", you mean me.

I don't recall ever saying that. I often advocate for fewer larger disks rather than more smaller disks because each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

Ideally, parity operations happen in parallel. If your hardware can't support accessing all disks simultaneously, it will be slower. Do you have a port multiplier?

OH! 🤣

is there a way to see such hardware in unraid?

i have some raid/HBA type devices. what ever was recommended on unraid at the time and they were flashed to IT mode with whatever firmware there was at the time.

did some reading maybe i should move parity drive off the same controller(s) if possible

not sure it's benching all drives?

Capture.PNG

EDIT: looks like maybe 3x Dell H310s flashed in IT mode.[SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2] they crammed full up and 2 drives of the main motherboard. maybe i need some new controllers? running some benches

Edited by cdoublejj
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

See here for some benchmarks on the possible performance with various controllers, of course board/CPU are also a factor, i.e. a PCIe 3.0 HBA will only perform optimally with a PCIe 3.0 board/CPU.

Wow! outstanding work sir!

you're documentation says i should be getting higher speeds. Even more so interesting!!! ....you also so results with speeds i am seeing with PCIe 2.0 x4.

one may be familiar with PCIe bandwith limiting/ when multi cards are installed in a motherboard. Yet my board's documentation states no such limits with multiple cards installed yet with my PCIe 2.0 x8 slots i see YOUR PCIe 2.0 x4 speeds....

i wonder if it's time to slap in a cheap ryzen and ditch the dual socket 1366???

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DT6-F.cfm

at the very least i see your bottom 2 controllers are great performers and the LSI 9207-8i PCIe gen3 x8 seems quite affordable but, i do lack the PCIe 3.0 slots all together.

QUESTION: Must the unRAID flash drive be re-imaged or can i swap motherboards with no recourse  or is it installed from an iso to the flash drive? (wow it's been so long i can't remember)