Unraid (or similar) with out the Raid?

xinud

Hi - Please don't hurt me for asking this - I'm an Unraid lover and active user of all features on a large server (Pro subscriber) I have in place.

In fact, I like Unraid so much I would like to run it on a small computer that does NOT have capacity for multiple drives (so no array) and not enough RAM for VMs.

Specifically, I'm looking to have an OS as small as Unraid (if possible running from USB) that offers something like the Community Applications and UI to install and operate apps like Unraid does.

Preferably like the Unraid UI, the CA "store", all the current apps available, etc but I don't need to array support/features, shares, VM support, etc

I was hoping that Limetech may consider offering a "free and non-expiring" version with no array/VM/Share features but don't expect they will.

Assuming that won't be considered, can anyone recommend something else that would work like Unraid - "without the Raid" 🙂

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, xinud said:

Assuming that won't be considered, can anyone recommend something else that would work like Unraid - "without the Raid"

An "array" can be just one drive and it does not need to have parity, cache, etc.

I am not saying unRAID is what you need to use as it is not clear exactly what your purpose is for the small computer with one drive and what apps you want to install and use; just pointing out that unRAID can work that way. 

You could have just one user share (whatever you want the top-level directory to be called) and organize things as you wish on this share that is only one disk.

You could even disable user shares, enable disk shares and just have something called "disk1" (the name unRAID will give the single disk share).

Of course, you can also disable VMs.

In this limited-use scenario perhaps you don't want to pay $59 for a basic license for using very little of unRAID (other than the OS, Community Apps, Docker, etc.) on a single disk.  In that case, yeah, you need to look for another solution.

Of course, unRAID is a server/NAS OS and not necessarily designed to run as a stand-alone computer.  But, with the right docker containers you could probably come close.