[SOLVED] Expand Windows Volume (incorrect partition order)

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Expand Windows Volume (incorrect partition order)
  • 2 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:53 AM, gray squirrel said:

Fixed, just used a free partition management tool and moved the recover Partition to the end.

I am facing the same issue (and even an additional).

1) What tool did you use and what partition did you move?

2) Oddly enough, mine even shows 4 partitions? Two data/boot partitions that I plan to merge. 1 system partition and 2 (!) recovery partitions. When right-click, it only shows "help". Can I delete it?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 3:09 PM, steve1977 said:

Thanks. Do you also have two recovery partitions and did you delete one?

Any thoughts on above? I still have two recovery partitions and wondering whether I should delete one? That's on-top of the boot/data partition and the system partition.

And on separate note, I had tried to expand the disk further. It changed from 1.5TB to 2.0TB, but this didn't do anything. I then tried 1.8TB instead, but it changes it to 2TB automatically. The disk size though stays at 1.5TB and no additional unallocated space exists in disk manager.

• 6 months later...

Old post, but I just had to tackle this issue myself for a Win10 install, so I thought I'd document the process...

Problem: You have expanded your vdisk, but now there is a recovery partition blocking the expansion of the main partition in Disk Management console, like pictured below

On 10/28/2020 at 5:18 AM, gray squirrel said:

image.thumb.png.7761e1931467b8effefd0b0544eb98c6.png

Solution: In my case I could open up diskpart (elevated), and force the deletion, be very sure you have chose the correct partition!

image.png.4b8f93d95a1318085e2dc591c2e30a90.png

If completed successfully, you will now be abled to extend your disk in Disk Management.

I'd expect at some point in the future that this recovery partition would be recreated.

This link has some other useful methods if this method does not work https://superuser.com/questions/1023765/how-to-delete-the-recovery-partition-in-windows-10

• Thanks 2