A new lurker on the forum

spiderpie

Hello guys,

I just signed up on this forum to learn more about unraid and what can be done with homeservers.

I always loved computers and building them but I would still consider myself of a good noob. I cannot do much on linux without relying heavily on google search but I usually manage to get myself where I want to.

I have been having fun with a littre rpi that I turned into a nas in my home with openmediavault.

I like it a lot but it is very slow, and very limited.

I have been looking into leveling this up and possibily buying a branded NAS like the synology ds920+ and it made me dive into this rabbit hole and the possibility of what can be done...

I started to consider the possibility of building my own and it lead me to unRaid which seems like a very interesting and solid solution. Then my mind was blown when I discovered I could basically have my own remote gaming if I added a good graphic card.

I decided to sign-up before moving forward to learn more and be able to ping the community.

I'm thinking of trying to create a machine that would host, a plex server, a nextcloud, a work vm (mostly cpu), a gaming vm, a vpn access, possibily some email server and I'm sure others I have no idea about.

I would like to learn about all this tech and try to draw a config and a budget that would fit me !

No real question but just a hello to the community!

Cheers^^