[Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target

SimonF

29 minutes ago, Joedy said:

yeah we have fixed that part and added a few features to make it a bit more user friendly

also added a bit of ajax to the back end to clean some code up, hope your alright with that.

I'm ok with all changes that makes the plugin quicker and more user friendly. ;)

I'm not really into web coding...

I have turned off auto mapping for the ACL and plan to do manual maps. So i was planning to set the auto mapping to off(default) as part of my setup once I create the settings pages. But people could change this in settings.

This way there can be multiple LUNS and I only map the correct ones to Target I want, what is the normal process or standard setup people use?

Edited by SimonF
25 minutes ago, SimonF said:

This way there can be multiple LUNS and I only map the correct ones to Target I want, what is the normal process or standard setup people use?

I think the easiest way for now would be to add a lun automatically.

If you want to implement that that would be also nice but I think the best way for now would be to keep the plugin as simple as possible and add features if they are needed or in the future.

iSCSI also supports RAMDISKS or real SCSI devices but I don't added them for now because nobody needs them or requested them by now...

What's your thoughts about that?

Oh and by the way, I don't get updates if you don't quote me here, why I don't know...

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

What's your thoughts about that?

I was planning to do the mapping anyway as i prefer to add maps, but happy for it to auto add if people haven't changed the defaults which is the way it will function at present. I am including pscsi as I want to use rom drives which cannot be mounted asblocks. Will add Ramdisks in future if people want them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SimonF said:

I have turned off auto mapping for the ACL and plan to do manual maps. So i was planning to set the auto mapping to off(default) as part of my setup once I create the settings pages. But people could change this in settings.

Simon

That is correct and normal setup

• Like 1

so we will be implementing a couple of changes to this version or we fork our own

LUN

Being able to edit the size of the volume after it is created (Thin Provisioning)

Changing target mapping or multiple mappings

Target (Volume)

Multiple or single session options

network binding if multiple networks

Edited by Joedy
29 minutes ago, Joedy said:

so we will be implementing a couple of changes to this version or we fork our own

LUN

Being able to edit the size of the volume after it is created (Thin Provisioning)

Changing target mapping or multiple mappings

Target (Volume)

Multiple or single session options

network binding if multiple networks

Do you have a list of the targetcli commands your would normally use for these functions?

2 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Sorry no i dont. I am not sure if you can use thin prov with Fileio, but hopefully someone can advise.

found this

Have a look at sparse files.

dd if=/dev/zero of=file.img bs=1 count=0 seek=1024M

creates a 1024Mb sparse file that can be formatted and mounted as a filesystem. There is more information on sparse files and using them here.

https://serverfault.com/questions/344518/in-linux-how-can-i-create-thin-provisioned-file-so-it-can-be-mounted-and-a-file

8 hours ago, Joedy said:

found this

Have a look at sparse files.

dd if=/dev/zero of=file.img bs=1 count=0 seek=1024M

creates a 1024Mb sparse file that can be formatted and mounted as a filesystem. There is more information on sparse files and using them here.

https://serverfault.com/questions/344518/in-linux-how-can-i-create-thin-provisioned-file-so-it-can-be-mounted-and-a-file

I don't think this should be in the version that is available for all...

If a user creates a image with lets say 200GB on a spinning drive this can take a really long time...

This plugin is or should be for iSCSI and not more.

Something like thin provised images would then be another standalone plugin.

On 11/6/2020 at 5:09 PM, ich777 said:

I don't think this should be in the version that is available for all...

If a user creates a image with lets say 200GB on a spinning drive this can take a really long time...

This plugin is or should be for iSCSI and not more.

Something like thin provised images would then be another standalone plugin.

agreed we will port a version to ourselves when we finish with the basic configuration.

Proof of concept works as i ran up a windows server and connected initiators for a file server which is exactly what we needed.

Thanks

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Joedy said:

agreed we will port a version to ourselves when we finish with the basic configuration.

Proof of concept works as i ran up a windows server and connected initiators for a file server which is exactly what we needed.

Thanks

I would think that an addon or an advanced version or 'good' hidden button within the plugin with 4 warnings or something like that that these options are for advanced users can also be a good idea if that's a thing that you can think of, not that I'm strictly against that (features are always good) but I would want to protect 'normal users' from making happy little mistakes... 😁

On 11/10/2020 at 3:11 AM, ich777 said:

I would think that an addon or an advanced version or 'good' hidden button within the plugin with 4 warnings or something like that that these options are for advanced users can also be a good idea if that's a thing that you can think of, not that I'm strictly against that (features are always good) but I would want to protect 'normal users' from making happy little mistakes... 😁

yep agreed

Us users that want to be able to have dynamic storage through thin provisioning will require it. my unraid NAS boxes are in an enterprise environment and that is why i am looking at this plugin as it is required for my setup. We are happy to keep those settings in a different version that we will use when the software moves from beta to stable version.

• Like 1

@ich777 @Joedy

I have updated the plugin today. Delete buttons are now in place. Button on device removes/adds block devices.

Access is disabled if someone is in Targetcli until it is exited.

image.thumb.png.37f319de3ec634b832bb947c5507644d.png

Tidied the screens, delete options have confirmation screens before deletes actions.

Devices will prompt if a device is deleted, but not if addition is actioned.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SimonF said:

@ich777 @Joedy

I have updated the plugin today. Delete buttons are now in place. Button on device removes/adds block devices.

Access is disabled if someone is in Targetcli until it is exited.

Tidied the screens, delete options have confirmation screens before deletes actions.

Devices will prompt if a device is deleted, but not if addition is actioned.

Nice, waiting for the pull request to implement it :)

you didn't add the parts

Custom name your own IQN

extended info in volumes tab showing name, sizes and write back of current volumes

info in LUN tab for each one so you can edit or delete current LUN's

info in ACL tab for each one so you can edit or delete them a lot easier and see what you already have setup

we uploaded these to the depository, not something you are interested in for this version?

Edited by Joedy
  • SimonF changed the title to [Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target