[Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target

SimonF

I'm at a loss on how to set this up.  I muddled my way through the other UI setup you all had.  The new one is less straightforward.  Got everything done except for the Add Map step on the Initiators page.  What actually goes into the fields?  Why are these not pre-populated or drop downs from the data that exists elsewhere in the plugins?  I have no idea what format the Lun or Backstore name should be to enter into this form? Is there a set of screenshots where someone shows what those entries should look like?

Actually I dug into the code and found the issue.  The command to add a mapping is populated incorrectly from the UI.  The command that is generated during the Mapping process when using the UI has the word "typename" where it should contain the Lun ID (ie "lun0").  Hence the command will fail every time.   No wonder I was confused.

7 minutes ago, gingerdude said:

Actually I dug into the code and found the issue.  The command to add a mapping is populated incorrectly from the UI.  The command that is generated during the Mapping process when using the UI has the word "typename" where it should contain the Lun ID (ie "lun0").  Hence the command will fail every time.   No wonder I was confused.

Had you created the LUN?

image.thumb.png.21819c8e711aebeda3695eab0438189a.png

I created initiator and LUN from fileIO, but client on macOS asks for CHAP details, when I enter username and password from unRAID, I get a message that the password must be 12 to 16 characters. And it is impossible to disable it.

client: DAEMON tools
macOS: 11.5.2 (20G95)
unRAID: 6.9.2

When I create such an initiator on the Synology NAS, everything works without any problems.

2021-08-27 19.39.41.png

2021-08-27 19.40.07.png

Edited by XiMA4

you need to create  the acl and mapping also.

o- iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.computenode.x8664:sn.0e9010727885 ..................................................... [TPGs: 1]
  |   o- tpg1 ............................................................................................... [no-gen-acls, no-auth]
  |     o- acls .......................................................................................................... [ACLs: 1]
  |     | o- iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:desktop-jur4c32 ............................................................ [Mapped LUNs: 0]
  |     o- luns .......................................................................................................... [LUNs: 2]
  |     | o- lun0 ...................................................... [fileio/test (/mnt/user/iscsi/test.img) (default_tg_pt_gp)]
  |     | o- lun1 .................................................... [fileio/test3 (/mnt/user/iscsi/test3.img) (default_tg_pt_gp)]
  |     o- portals .................................................................................................... [Portals: 1]
  |       o- 0.0.0.0:3260 ..................................................................................................... [OK]

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, XiMA4 said:

I am using FileIO 300GB in Array.

Do you have Write Back enabled? If not make sure it's enabled.

This is a really common thing with iSCSI and has nothing to do with unRAID. ;)

I run my NVME with a 10Gbit NIC and have no problem reaching 1GB/s, of course I use the whole disk as a initiator and not a FileIO volume.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Xxharry said:

is there a way to use a share with this plugin or does it allow unassigned devices only?

iSCSI allows you to share a disk or a image file.

A share is not possible since this is not SAMBA, iSCSI was created to share disks over the network (as the name implies), what you can do is that you create a FileIO image on a disk/share with the size that you want and then you can share this image as a disk via iSCSI.

Be also sure to turn on "Write Back" for the FileIO image otherwise the transfer rates can be pretty slow.

@Didstopia

Would you be able to provide extract from the Config on the status tab?

o- iscsi ............................................................................................................. [Targets: 1]
  | o- iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.xxxxxx ................................................................................ [TPGs: 1]
  |   o- tpg1 ............................................................................................... [no-gen-acls, no-auth]
  |     o- acls .......................................................................................................... [ACLs: 1]
  |     | o- iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:xxxxxx ..................................................................... [Mapped LUNs: 1]
  |     |   o- mapped_lun1 ................................................................................ [lun1 fileio/test3 (rw)]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

First of all, thank you for providing such a great tool!

I successfully setted up an image target with this plugin and got my windows initiator conneted and run!

However unraid server side syslog keep spaming this message every 3secs once connected:

xxx kernel: iSCSI/iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:xxx: Unsupported SCSI Opcode 0xa1, sending CHECK_CONDITION.

I did some research and find out this seems harmless but just a windows thing, but it's anoying and fiiling up my syslog fast.

Is there anything I can do?

On 10/7/2021 at 7:09 AM, ZZY said:

Is there anything I can do?

Hi ich777 has suggested you can try the following:

echo ":msg,contains,\"Unsupported SCSI Opcode 0xa1\" stop" >> /etc/rsyslog.d/01-blocklist.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.rsyslogd restart

Also you will need to add to your go file to make persistent 

Edited by SimonF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, SimonF said:

Hi ich777 has suggested you can try the following:

echo ":msg,contains,\"Unsupported SCSI Opcode 0xa1\" stop" >> /etc/rsyslog.d/01-blocklist.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.rsyslogd restart

Also you will need to add to your go file to make persistent 

Yeah! I was trying to figure out how to filter such logs and this works perfectly!

Thank you so much SimonF and ich777! 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

Is there a guild I can follow or instructions to get this working? I have tried to create a target by putting in a name and clicking the add target button but nothing happens.  Clearly I don't know what I am doing.  

In the Diags window it says this for the last Targetcli output.

targetcli shell version 2.1.54

Copyright 2011-2013 by Datera, Inc and others.

For help on commands, type 'help'.

/> WWN not valid as: iqn, naa, eui

/> Global pref auto_save_on_exit=true

Last 10 configs saved in /etc/target/backup/.

Configuration saved to /etc/target/saveconfig.json

Thanks 

Edited by Asus750
34 minutes ago, Asus750 said:

Hi, 

Is there a guild I can follow or instructions to get this working? I have tried to create a target by putting in a name and clicking the add target button but nothing happens.  Clearly I don't know what I am doing.  

In the Diags window it says this for the last Targetcli output.

targetcli shell version 2.1.54

Copyright 2011-2013 by Datera, Inc and others.

For help on commands, type 'help'.

/> WWN not valid as: iqn, naa, eui

/> Global pref auto_save_on_exit=true

Last 10 configs saved in /etc/target/backup/.

Configuration saved to /etc/target/saveconfig.json

Thanks 

What are you trying to connect? Can you provide some screen prints?

You need to create the target, iqn luns, map the luns.

Luns will need either a drive mapped or fileio

4 hours ago, SimonF said:

What are you trying to connect? Can you provide some screen prints?

You need to create the target, iqn luns, map the luns.

Luns will need either a drive mapped or fileio

It looks like it started working.  I rebooted the server after messing with it for a while and I have an option to choose a target now under create IQN.  I have an sata SSD that I will be using to test it, and it picked that up on the devices tab.  

I will keep playing with it but looks to be working.  Thanks for the quick reply.