[Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target

SimonF

Hey @ich777 and @SimonF.

Thanks for the update.  I pulled the package and while it does resolve the issue with the plugin not working at all, such as the Status screen being back to normal, I am still unable to connect to the Drive I created.  It failed to automatically reconnect and removing and re-adding the IQN leads to the IQN not being discoverable.  Nothing else has changed on my network besides updating Unraid and updating this plugin.  Any ideas?

10 hours ago, ich777 said:

@gingerdude & @dreadu & @isvein please update the plugin to version 2022.11.06 and the issue should be fixed.

Thanks a lot for the quick fix @ich777!

I can confirm, that the "Fix 6.11.2 - added missing libffi7 package" is working.

But I can add:

DNS vs IP did not change anything for me. I had to re-create everything in the "initiators" tab. I could re-add the existing fileIO images, even though they would not show in the "FileIO" tab.

20 minutes ago, gingerdude said:

Regardless, even after doing so the DNS would not work, the IP address did.

Can you explain a bit more in detail what you mean with DNS? Is it also possible that there is something wrong with the DNS itself and Unraid can't resolve it?

Have you yet tried if you can ping the domain name?

Additional information from my side:

• When updating unraid from 6.11.0 to 6.11.1, I did not re-install the plugin and everything worked.
  • When updating from 6.11.1 to 6.11.2 it did not work and after reading this thread, I re-installed it- without resolving the issue as mentioned in my prev. posts.
  • After the provided fix, I updated the plugin without re-installing it + recreated the luns, iqn, etc. -> worked again, but I did re-install it before the fix, don't know if that changed anything

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

will there be any chance to support tap drives (st0) and changers ?

Because i can't see these two devices in the overview

lsscsi shows them:

[9:0:0:0]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   Z63U  /dev/st0 
[9:0:0:1]    mediumx TANDBERG StorageLoader    0495  -     

But your tool ignores them.

1 hour ago, pk1057 said:

Hello,

will there be any chance to support tap drives (st0) and changers ?

Because i can't see these two devices in the overview

lsscsi shows them:

[9:0:0:0]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   Z63U  /dev/st0 
[9:0:0:1]    mediumx TANDBERG StorageLoader    0495  -     

But your tool ignores them.

You can manually add in via targetcli

Currently only 

/* Only /dev/sd*, dev/sr0, /dev/hd*, and /dev/nvme* devices. */

will be shown, I can add st in a future release.

Just wanted to post to give my thanks for this plugin. I've wanted to use this for years and due to issues with VMs etc and all the other ways of trying to succeed I am now able to use my Games on various machines all from the same NVME drive! which is absolutely outstanding.

A million thanks!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someon help me please.

Im just finalizing my build and i want to use iscsi from windows to unraid.

what confuses me is that how unRAID parity works with iscasi drives?

After mounting iscasi on windows, can it be NTFS formatted?

How it appears from unRAID side of things? does it even uses the parity or iscsi is outside parity?

8 hours ago, Hexenhammer said:

How it appears from unRAID side of things? does it even uses the parity or iscsi is outside parity?

You have two options how to do that:

1. Use a FileIO image <- basically a image file somewhere on the Array or Cache
  2. Use a Block Device <- HDD, SSD or whatever which is dedicated for iSCSI

In both cases you can format the iSCSI device that you mount on Windows but in general I would not recommend that you create a FileIO image on the Array because writes can be really slow due to the Parity, you can do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

I would rather recommend that you use a separate disk which is not in the Array or Cache and is dedicated to iSCSI <- basically share the entire disk.

A iSCSI device is always shown as a block device (disk) on the client side and is something completely different from for example SAMBA.

• Like 1
On 12/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, ich777 said:

You have two options how to do that:

1. Use a FileIO image <- basically a image file somewhere on the Array or Cache
  2. Use a Block Device <- HDD, SSD or whatever which is dedicated for iSCSI

In both cases you can format the iSCSI device that you mount on Windows but in general I would not recommend that you create a FileIO image on the Array because writes can be really slow due to the Parity, you can do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

I would rather recommend that you use a separate disk which is not in the Array or Cache and is dedicated to iSCSI <- basically share the entire disk.

A iSCSI device is always shown as a block device (disk) on the client side and is something completely different from for example SAMBA.

Thank you for replay.

so if I want fast iSCSI is not protected by parity? unless i use FileIO which will be slow  [isnt there any solution to run Parity on timer instead of live?]

Block Device is just a remote HDD that instead of SATA is connected with ethernet LINK and  I can format it with NTFS and even Bitlocker but I lose parity protection.

I cant have both, protection and local disk like access

P.S. Is it possible to take already used NTFS drive with games files, connect it to unraid [not part of the array] and ISCSI to it from windows? Basically I don't want hard drives on my main gaming build, just SSD's, so i want to remove 18TB HDD with emualtors and game footage to unraid.

And i have 10GB aquantia between them so it shouldn't be slower than sata, the maximum 280Mb/s out of this HDD ill get on the network.

If this possible, please tell me.

Also, if i can backup the NTFS drive to the unraid array using some tool that will do it automatically, unless when its iSCSI mounted the unraid cant access its folders?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Hexenhammer said:

Block Device is just a remote HDD that instead of SATA is connected with ethernet LINK and  I can format it with NTFS and even Bitlocker but I lose parity protection.

Exactly, but you could of course use two disks (Block Devices) in your server, share them via iSCSI and set up a SW RAID in Windows from the two disks.

I cant have both, protection and local disk like access

Sure with the method from above.

P.S. Is it possible to take already used NTFS drive with games files, connect it to unraid [not part of the array] and ISCSI to it from windows?

Sure thing, if you share the entire block device through iSCSI the disk will appear on Windows like if you have it connected to the PC locally (SATA, IDE or whatever).

Just be sure to install the driver in your server (DON'T FORMAT IT OR ASSIGN IT TO A CACHE POOL OR THE ARRAY) and just share it as a Block Device over iSCSI then everything will be fine.

I would recommend to set it to passed through in Unassigned Devices since with this you can't assign it by accident to the a pool or array but this comes with the downside that you also can't mount it on Unraid.

Also, if i can backup the NTFS drive to the unraid array using some tool that will do it automatically, unless when its iSCSI mounted the unraid cant access its folders?

This is a really hard thing to do because you theoretically can connect one iSCSI Target (Server) to multiple Initiators (Clients) this is strongly discouraged since you can easily destroy files and even the whole partition and so on...!

I wouldn't do that in your case, of course it would be possible to mount the NTFS disk to Unraid when no Initiator is connected to the disk and back it um somewhere to the Array but I really won't recommend doing so...

52 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Exactly, but you could of course use two disks (Block Devices) in your server, share them via iSCSI and set up a SW RAID in Windows from the two disks.

Sure with the method from above.

Sure thing, if you share the entire block device through iSCSI the disk will appear on Windows like if you have it connected to the PC locally (SATA, IDE or whatever).

Just be sure to install the driver in your server (DON'T FORMAT IT OR ASSIGN IT TO A CACHE POOL OR THE ARRAY) and just share it as a Block Device over iSCSI then everything will be fine.

Thank you

Last question, what plugins do i need to install on unraid to achieve this?

I googled and couldn't find a guide except 6 years old one that based on linux VM

Thanks