[Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target

SimonF

• 3 weeks later...

I am using an entire unassigned drive as my target, but I want to be able to run backups of it to the array.

I tried to mount it in unraid using the unassigned drives plugin, but it looks like iSCSI grabs the disk before I have a chance to mount it manually.

/dev/sdf1 already mounted or mount point busy.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the plugin without removing it. Or manually control when the device is used by the plugin? 

Hopefully that makes sense... I am also open to other ideas / solutions. My end goal is being able to backup the drive.

Thanks!

On 12/13/2022 at 6:45 AM, ich777 said:

The plugin changed a while back the name, just install iSCSI Target and you are good to go.

Hello.

First: Happy New Year!

I made a RAID0 cache using two 12TB HDDs for the iSCSI.

I see there is no normal way to iSCSI map this BRTFS volume, but i can create a virtual HDD using the iSCSI plugin, and in theory it should be just as fast as the RAID0 its on.

Im confused about 3 thing thou:

1] What is Write Back? Should it be set to enabled or disabled for best performance? 

2] On windows side, when i connect with initiator, should Multi-Path be enabled  or disabled? Is this like "multi streaming" to increase performance or this option is only valid if you have multiply Ethernet connections?

3] Are there any windows side or unRaid side options that recommended to be enabled for best performance?

Regards

Edited by Hexenhammer
6 hours ago, Hexenhammer said:

First: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

I made a RAID0 cache using two 12TB HDDs for the iSCSI.

I see there is no normal way to iSCSI map this BRTFS volume, but i can create a virtual HDD using the iSCSI plugin, and in theory it should be just as fast as the RAID0 its on.

You are talking about a RAID0 BTRFS Pool correct?

RAID0 and BTRFS is a really bad idea, if one of the drives fail all data is gone, even on the good one.

1. No, you can't share a BTRFS Pool because iSCSI is meant for sharing entire block volumes (a whole disks).
    This is as fast as your block device and your network connection can go.

2. Yes, you can create a file image which is located on the disk and use this as a virtual block volume, so called FileIO.
    In theory it should be as fast as a RAID0 but in practical use it isn't because you are adding much more complexity because you store, most certainly, a NTFS filesystem on a BTRFS filesystem and the use of an image will always cause some additional overhead.

1] What is Write Back? Should it be set to enabled or disabled for best performance? 

I would recommend that you do your own research on this and decide what's the right choice for you, Write Back is definitely faster and I would recommend using it, regardless of the risks if you want to achieve higher write speeds for a FileIO volume.

Here I've linked an answer that is pretty much accurate: Click

2] On windows side, when i connect with initiator, should Multi-Path be enabled  or disabled? Is this like "multi streaming" to increase performance or this option is only valid if you have multiply Ethernet connections?

No, multi path is if you have two physical network connections between the Target and the Initiator, please see this image: Click

3] Are there any windows side or unRaid side options that recommended to be enabled for best performance?

I would not recommend to use a RAID0 that is set up on Unraid, I would rather recommend to use two block devices (disk) and share them over iSCSI and create a Storage Pool RAID0 on Windows with the two disks shared over iSCSI.

• Like 2

Sorry for the late response, I somehow missed the post... :/

On 1/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, jakehaas said:

I am using an entire unassigned drive as my target, but I want to be able to run backups of it to the array.

Not as far as I know...

On 1/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, jakehaas said:

Is there a way to temporarily disable the plugin without removing it. Or manually control when the device is used by the plugin? 

Please keep in mind that this could be very difficult and could bring some other issues with it.

Just imagine the iSCSI Target is currently connected to a Initiator and you disconnect it from the Initiator while it is writing data to it, this could lead to data loss and some other weird behavior.

I would rather recommend that you back up the disk on the Initiator. Is the Initiator Windows based? Maybe consider Windows Backup or UrBackup from @binhex, sure if you are using UrBackup you are putting double the load on your NIC because you are reading and writing simultaneously but in my opinion that would be way more secure than "unmounting" it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ich777 said:

I would not recommend to use a RAID0 that is set up on Unraid, I would rather recommend to use two block devices (disk) and share them over iSCSI and create a Storage Pool RAID0 on Windows with the two disks shared over iSCSI.

Thank you for replay, I never considered this, its an amazing idea. Thanks

What will be your opinion/choice on the following [as Plugin dev that actually knows whats going on, unlike me]

The thing i have just 2 of these IronWolf Pro HDDs, so i can do either RAID0 or RAID1.

I do have a bunch of shucked WD HDDs.

These are the "famous" firmware limited to simulate 5900RPM, the motor spins at 7200rpm, they get hot like 7200RPM but never cross 200mb/s on good day, usually 180Mb/s is their top [unlike Seagate that easily does 250Mb/s even 290MB/s when 4Kn enabled]

What would you do for your own PC?

Take 3 WD 12tb or 14Tb drives, and use them as BRTFS volume with parity + virtual HDD for iSCSI? to have speed and protection

Do what you recommended above, but pass 3 to windows and do storage space 2 drives with parity?

Or maybe install ZFS plugin for unRaid and do ZFS volume the one with single parity disk [3 total] and then do a virtual iSCSI drive on it?

Or since I don't really need that much space, iSCSI the 12tb Seagate IronWolf Pros and do RAID1 instead of RAID0 in windows [In theory i should get faster reads so at least ill have that]

So many options.... :(

1 hour ago, Hexenhammer said:

What would you do for your own PC?

TBH, I wouldn't need that much space... :D

Take 3 WD 12tb or 14Tb drives, and use them as BRTFS volume with parity + virtual HDD for iSCSI? to have speed and protection

This is the last thing that I would do because you won't get the maximum speed out of it.

Do what you recommended above, but pass 3 to windows and do storage space 2 drives with parity?

This is also an option.

Or maybe install ZFS plugin for unRaid and do ZFS volume the one with single parity disk [3 total] and then do a virtual iSCSI drive on it?

Same answer as if you use it on a BTRFS volume.

Or since I don't really need that much space, iSCSI the 12tb Seagate IronWolf Pros and do RAID1 instead of RAID0 in windows [In theory i should get faster reads so at least ill have that]

If you don't need that much capacity I would recommend choosing that route.

There is no clear answer that I can give you besides that I really don't like FileIO images because they can get pretty slow and you are introducing much overhead and the route that you'll go depends on what you need and how important the data is.

If it was my machine, the data is not that important and 12TB are enough I would only create a 12TB Target and pass it to my PC and maybe use some kind of external storage backup directly from the Windows machine (maybe put a drive back into it's enclosure) <- the reason behind this is, what if a thunderstorm takes out your server and some drives with it, you'll at least have a backup from the data.

If the data is really important go with 2x 12TB as a Target, create a RAID1 in Windows and use the 3rd disk as a external Backup like mentioned above.

Hope that makes sense to you, at least this is how I see things, off site Backups or at least external Backups are really important!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, frodr said:

I am getting very low speed when syncing from Qnap to iSCSI Target:

A little bit more information would be nice, maybe a screenshot from the configuration overview from iSCSI.

Do you use a Block Volume or FileIO did you enable Write Back? Anyways, this speeds seem really slow, is this from a sustained copy process? Does it never go above these speeds or is it fluctuating?

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

A little bit more information would be nice, maybe a screenshot from the configuration overview from iSCSI.

Do you use a Block Volume or FileIO did you enable Write Back? Anyways, this speeds seem really slow, is this from a sustained copy process? Does it never go above these speeds or is it fluctuating?

Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for little information. 

The speeds is average numbers from the sync report in Qnap. Speed is fluctuating, the ssd sync shows up to 10 MB/s.

Cheers,

Frode

1083417963_Screenshot2023-01-10at12_33_58.thumb.png.8235fc6758d87369d7aa8a185c4b3a71.png

1063844492_Screenshot2023-01-10at12_28_04.png.67ff21af9c6a8323c7803418e9e349d5.png

1232951004_Screenshot2023-01-10at12_23_37.thumb.png.a5c78e0329efdc779d6eaf444bb68391.png

109948852_Screenshot2023-01-10at12_27_40.thumb.png.8837005c2b080f8ff021ea1c60da8cc1.png

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 12.28.04.png

1919833684_Screenshot2023-01-10at12_27_40.thumb.png.92208aff7f9d7fee7e9a2f734ead7eaf.png

Edited by frodr
2 hours ago, frodr said:

Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for little information. 

Please try to set write back to true and see if this makes a difference to start with.

Where are the images located? Array or Cache? I assume theses are both Cache Pools?

I would recommend that you also use the real path to the image like for example /mnt/cache/iSCSI/... or /mnt/dsik1/iSCSI/... because if you are using /mnt/user/... you are basically using the FUSE filesystem and this adds more overhead than using the real file path.

Anyways, I would not recommend that you put a iSCSI FileIO image on the Array because this will be rather slow.

From my perspective I would always use/recommend a real Block Device for iSCSI because that's simply faster and you can achieve speeds like if it is connected directly through the SATA bus in the foreign computer, as long as the Network can keep up.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please try to set write back to true and see if this makes a difference to start with.

Where are the images located? Array or Cache? I assume theses are both Cache Pools?

I would recommend that you also use the real path to the image like for example /mnt/cache/iSCSI/... or /mnt/dsik1/iSCSI/... because if you are using /mnt/user/... you are basically using the FUSE filesystem and this adds more overhead than using the real file path.

Anyways, I would not recommend that you put a iSCSI FileIO image on the Array because this will be rather slow.

From my perspective I would always use/recommend a real Block Device for iSCSI because that's simply faster and you can achieve speeds like if it is connected directly through the SATA bus in the foreign computer, as long as the Network can keep up.

Thanks, I will try these recommendations. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, laidou said:

After unraid was upgraded to 6.11.5 and iscsi was upgraded to 2022.11.06, after restarting unraid, iscsi reported an error and could not be used. After removing it, reinstalled it to resume use, but after restarting unraid, iscsi still reported an error.

What error do you get?

3 minutes ago, laidou said:

11.png

Can you post diagnostics? Maybe a download failed. Which Version are you using?

Or paste Installer page

Install Plugin

plugin: installing: iSCSIgui.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: iSCSIgui.plg ... done

plugin: downloading: unraid.iSCSI-2022.11.06.txz ... done

+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/unraid.iSCSI/unraid.iSCSI-2022.11.06.txz

Verifying package unraid.iSCSI-2022.11.06.txz.
Installing package unraid.iSCSI-2022.11.06.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
plugin: downloading: libffi-3.3-x86_64-3.txz ... done

Verifying package libffi-3.3-x86_64-3.txz.
Installing package libffi-3.3-x86_64-3.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# libffi (A Portable Foreign Function Interface Library)
#
# FFI stands for Foreign Function Interface. A foreign function
# interface is the popular name for the interface that allows code
# written in one language to call code written in another language.
# The libffi library really only provides the lowest, machine dependent
# layer of a fully featured foreign function interface.
#
# Homepage: https://sourceware.org/libffi/
#
Executing install script for libffi-3.3-x86_64-3.txz.
Package libffi-3.3-x86_64-3.txz installed.

----------------Downloading iSCSI v2.1.54b, please wait...!---------------
----------This could take some time, please don't close this window!----------

--------------Successfully downloaded iSCSI, please wait...!----------------

------------------Installing iSCSI v2.1.54b, please wait...!----------------
---Starting iSCSI Target, please wait...!---

----------------Installation of iSCSI v2.1.54b successful!------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------
unraid.iSCSI has been installed.

Copyright 2016-2022, SimonFair
Version: 2022.11.06

plugin: iSCSIgui.plg installed
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Edited by SimonF

| Skipping package unraid.iSCSI-2022.11.06 (already installed)

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
#
#
#

Configuration restored from /etc/target/saveconfig.json

plugin: iSCSIgui.plg installed
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks
10 minutes ago, laidou said:

| Skipping package unraid.iSCSI-2022.11.06 (already installed)

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
#
#
#

Configuration restored from /etc/target/saveconfig.json