[Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target

SimonF

• 3 weeks later...

@Joedy & @SimonF

Where did you do a Pull request? On my Github?

I looked now into the Plugin and at a first glance it looks and feels really good, the mappings from the Plugin page to the Tools menu is wrong, I also would recommend that you put the Plugin on the Systeminformation page and not on the Tools page.

Also where do I create the first IQN if I don't have a IQN yet created? I only get a grey button when I'm on the Initiators page.

Hi @ich777

This is my latest version of my page. I am still working on it as have issues with $POST processing in that it does clear after its processed so if you do a refresh is asks to reconfirm submission. I have raised a question on the programming page to see if anyone has suggestions as i dont have a solution yet.

Are you using the dev plg? I am not sure I have updated the package so you may not get this vers.

image.thumb.png.b7a6060146493fbc6478edcb8d58fbf7.png

Edited by SimonF
  • SimonF changed the title to [Plugins] iSCSI GUI and ISCSI Target
  • 1 month later...

I have some less specific question about the file-format of the img-files which has been created by iscsi-gui.

It seems to be a raw format, so I should able to mount them with kpartx.

But I don't know which linux type is below unraid, so I am not able to port kpartx to unraid.

Can somebody give me a hint, how to do this?

Greetings and thanks

53 minutes ago, Gladio said:

I have some less specific question about the file-format of the img-files which has been created by iscsi-gui.

It seems to be a raw format, so I should able to mount them with kpartx.

But I don't know which linux type is below unraid, so I am not able to port kpartx to unraid.

Can somebody give me a hint, how to do this?

Greetings and thanks

The file is just raw. You would map it on a remote host and it will just be a block device on the system and you treat the same way as any other block device.

What is your use case?

On 4/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, SimonF said:

The file is just raw. You would map it on a remote host and it will just be a block device on the system and you treat the same way as any other block device.

What is your use case?

Thanks - my use case is to exports the *.img file via iSCSI to a proxmox-host VM.
For emergency reasons I want to mount the img-File if my proxmox-vm is broken.
I did it via the playground-docker image - installing kpartx and use it as a privileged docker container - mounting the /mnt/user/iSCSI directory with the iSCSI-Image Files.

#kpartx -a -v volume1-iscsi.img
#mount /dev/mapper/loop3p1 /mnt/disks/p1
#mount /dev/mapper/loop3p2 /mnt/disks/p2

mounted the partitions into local unraid server.

I know, that I can only mount read-only because of consistency.

Thanks for your help.

--- snipp

OK - It has been worked it is very easy to mount the partitions locally

Edited by Gladio
Solution

Hi

I am getting this in my log files

Apr 12 10:41:45 HENAS02 kernel: Unable to recover from DataOut timeout while in ERL=0, closing iSCSI connection for I_T Nexus iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:he?????.???.????,i,0x400001370001,iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.henas02.x8664:sn.d8096d846764,t,0x01

seems to be only on connector which has multiple volumes 

i have done some searching on the net and it is a timeout issue when larg amounts of data and used?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Unable+to+recover+from+DataOut+timeout+while+in+ERL%3D0%2C+closing+iSCSI+connection+for+I_T+Nexus&rlz=1C1CHBF_enAU909AU911&oq=Unable+to+recover+from+DataOut+timeout+while+in+ERL%3D0%2C+closing+iSCSI+connection+for+I_T+Nexus&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.318j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

but unsure how i am able to fix it for myself?

There´s a problem with Unassigned Devices Plugin and this Plugin, when i want to create Blockdevice as a iSCSI-Volume it didn´t recognize if a Partition in it is currently mounted or not, so targetcli can´t create Block-Volume because drive is in busy state as long it´s mounted.

Please fix that.

Simple check on this file would do it if there´s a "yes" entry and set it to "false".

image.png.2edf86f90355383116af5d1a82f70e34.png

Edited by stinger2k
9 hours ago, stinger2k said:

Please fix that.

Which of the iscsi plugins are you using?

Another plugin should not be making changes to another,  Also changing the config would not update the actual status.

It would down to the user to make sure the device is available.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SimonF said:

@stinger2k I also agree with @SimonF that a plugin should never change another plugin and it's up to the user so that he makes sure that the device is available.

If it would be done like this the main problem is if a user selects by accident a device that has a partition or something mounted he can delete all of the contents of this device.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2021 at 8:40 AM, SimonF said:

Which of the iscsi plugins are you using?

Another plugin should not be making changes to another,  Also changing the config would not update the actual status.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:18 AM, ich777 said:

@stinger2k I also agree with @SimonF that a plugin should never change another plugin and it's up to the user so that he makes sure that the device is available.

If it would be done like this the main problem is if a user selects by accident a device that has a partition or something mounted he can delete all of the contents of this device.

The Problem is that drive partition is mounted by unassigned devices (is the automatic Setting for known filesystems) before "targetcli" can load it as a "block"-device. So targetcli exited with "Drive is Busy..."

So maybe it would be better to passthrough error-message of targetcli to WebUi or check if the marked device is mounted and unmount "before" targetcli is called, only thoughts to make the plugin more comfortable, because no message of targetcli is piped to WebUi.

Edited by stinger2k
34 minutes ago, stinger2k said:

The Problem is that drive partition is mounted by unassigned devices (is the automatic Setting for known filesystems) before "targetcli" can load it as a "block"-device. So targetcli exited with "Drive is Busy..."

So maybe it would be better to passthrough error-message of targetcli to WebUi or check if the marked device is mounted and unmount "before" targetcli is called, only thoughts to make the plugin more comfortable, because no message of targetcli is piped to WebUi.

The "Passed Through" flag in UD should resolve this

'Passed Through' switch designates a physical disk as passed to a VM or Docker so UD won't mount the disk.

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, stinger2k said:

As @tjb_altf4 said, the Passed Through switch within UnassignedDevices should solve this "issue", also you should always use this switch wether the disk is passed through to a VM, iSCSI is using this device or something else.

22 hours ago, stinger2k said:

error-message

Looks like you are using the gui within the iscsi-target plugin from ich777.

My gui plugin is a separate plugin, both can co-exist. I don't at present check it the drive is in use but plan is to check, I disable access to Array devices.

image.thumb.png.d6200dc8345cb5542539caff9dd5d590.png

I do have a Diags which has the output, but doing a quick check It doesn't pickup the error message so will take a look at that. Fixed in next release.

image.png.17f030c5bf514b0fd3ee3a979464cea5.png

Edited by SimonF
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 1:50 AM, Joedy said:

neither have the functionality

From what I know this is not that easy because it depends on the filesystem and also you have to remove the image from iSCSI and the readd it again when you are finished and even then it can sometimes cause problems.

iSCSI Target install components have now been added to the iSCSI-GUI plugin.

On the next update the ICON will move from the Tools Menu to the settings. You no longer need to have ich777s target plugin installed and he is planning to remove as we have combined into a single plugin.

Let us know if there are functions you would like adding.

Edited by SimonF
  • Like 2